iPhone hot spot in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kal El, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Kal El macrumors regular

Has anyone heard anything from any of the UK companies about support for the new hot spot feature in 4.3?

I'm with Three and now they have "all you can eat data" I am keeping my fingers crossed they will support for free.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you need to pay for tethering (like I do on O2) then you need tethering enabled to get the hotspot to work. If tethering is free (like 3) then it just works.

3. Kal El thread starter macrumors regular

Cool if that is the case. More and more reasons why Three are the best network in the UK for the iPhone.

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I am using Three, and the Personal Hotspot data comes out of your mobile internet/tethering allowance.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

As others have said, the hotspot is just another way of tethering (in 4.3, they've basically renamed Internet Tethering to Personal Hotspot and added WiFi as a means to connect, along with the original Bluetooth and USB), and will be dealt with in exactly the same way as tethering currently is.
    What this means is that if you currently have tethering enabled (rather than the Setup Internet Tethering button under General Settings), you'll get Personal Hotspot when 4.3 is released and if you don't, you won't

6. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

I'm on Three also.

Tried it out over the weekend. It works great. And uses a lot less battery than the Jailbroken hot-spot apps.

C.

7. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Unless you're on 4.1 or under on t-mobile, in which case the setting will remain enabled, but you won't actually get tethering as it will ask you to pay more via a webportal when you try to use it since 4.2.1 changing the APN settings.

8. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

This is great news.

but...

Given that Apple will finally let me share the mobile data account in my phone, with my iPad, I just wish they'd let me do it over Bluetooth.

C.

9. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I'm pretty sure I read that ipad 4.3 supports bluetooth tethering, though I'm not sure if that was for sharing it's connection, or using iphones, admittedly, as I don't have one.

10. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

I have not yet installed 4.3 on the iPad.
    But I can't see any sign of PAN Bluetooth data tethering.

C.