iPhone hotmail/httpmail compatible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HOSKINGJ, Apr 16, 2007.

1. HOSKINGJ macrumors newbie

OK so due to a fantastic bit of coding, I am able to use Mail with my Hotmail account thanks to a plugin called "httpmail".

Now with the iPhone apprently syncing all your email account settings and supporting IMAP, basically my question is this:

Will I be able to use hotmail within the iPhone's email application?

2. EdwardG87 macrumors newbie

I don't have the answer to your question, unfortunately, but I'd like to know about the code you use in order to receive your hotmail account e-mail in Mail.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

4. SRSound macrumors 6502

On this topic, could someone please explain how using gmail would work with the iphone? Would one just access the website or is there some direct access?

5. NeoLink macrumors member

NeoLink

You can simply just go to the website (such as gmail) and log in from there using Safari on the iPhone

And if the iPhone syncs with your Mail account, and you already have the code to recive hotmail messages on Mail, than I would assume: yes.

6. HOSKINGJ thread starter macrumors newbie

You could use the website, but obviously that takes away a massive amount of the functionality. With regard to the "code", it's actually a plugin - so while the iPhone syncs your settings, I am doubtful as to whether the effect achieved by the plugin will be carried over.

7. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

As I understand it, GMail uses Pop and not IMAP protocol, which means that it can't "push" emails to your phone. Someone who knows more about this, please fill me in.

8. SRSound macrumors 6502

I guess what I'm asking is: is there a way to have both your computer and iphone constantly update with new mail and still be in sync with one another (I dont want to check mail on my iphone and then have it not show up on my computer etc

9. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Even when using POP, on most mail clients there is an option worded something like "Leave mail on server after fetching" (in which case you check it) or "Delete mail from server" (in which case you uncheck it). I'd assume you'll be able to do the same with iPhone's mail client.

10. Photo Monkey macrumors member

I would imagine Google are sorting something with Apple to work with Google Mail, unless the Yahoo! Mail thing is an exclusive deal.

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

True, though their plans for the Google phone might be a factor too.

12. Photo Monkey macrumors member

When I first saw that report, I figured it was crossed wires and they were making applications for existing phones, which they have done already and the iPhone. But since then, some other people have mentioned more specific details, I think...