Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
I know the iPhone gives an alert when it reaches a certain amount of free space available (something around 50MB, I think).

However, does that mean that until it's down to just 50MB of free space, it should function normally? Or is 60MB just as bad? For that matter, is it just fine with 50MB of free space but will start to malfunction at around 10MB or 20MB of free space?

Hoping people could comment on their iPhones behavior with various amounts of free space!

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
Well, it's flash memory so it shouldn't function "abnormally", I think its just there to let you know you probably ought to rethink some of the stuff you have on there otherwise you wont be able to get anything else on there.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Well, it's flash memory so it shouldn't function "abnormally", I think its just there to let you know you probably ought to rethink some of the stuff you have on there otherwise you wont be able to get anything else on there.

Does that mean that it has internal memory to use as scratch space?

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Doesn't the iPhone use the extra space as RAM? Isn't that the concept of virtual memory? If that is the case, leaving some space free would be beneficial for the iphone's performance.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Doesn't the iPhone use the extra space as RAM? Isn't that the concept of virtual memory? If that is the case, leaving some space free would be beneficial for the iphone's performance.

That's the impression I was under, which is why I raised the question in the first place...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.