iPhone-How to upgrade, wipe old phone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by markw10, Dec 9, 2010.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

I am planning on buying an iPhone 4 any day now for both me and my fiancee and currently both of us having iPhone 3G's. My plan is once I get the iPhone 4's to sell the two iPhone 3G's on ebay.
    I have two questions:

I have never gone through an upgrade before. I am looking at options such as Radio Shack, AT&T (Refurbished) and Apple. When I buy one do I activate it on the spot in the store or do I get it and then have 30 days to active it? I know when I connect my iPhone to iTunes it backs up.
    When I get a new phone do I connect to iTunes to activate and then restore the backup?

The second question is how to securely and completely wipe the old phone. I want to make sure since I'm selling it on ebay that no one can get data off of it and obviously I want to do this after I active and have my new phone working. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks for your help with the above questions.

2. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

To get all your info off your phone you just restore it but dont re-sync your info, just disconnect the phone once you get to where it asks if you wanna set up as a new user or restore as a backup of. As far as activating the phone once you get it, they can activate in store for you, or you can take it home and do it yourself. Really up to you. Hope that helps...

3. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

go to Settings>general>reset>erase all content and settings. This will wipe everything off your phone, and save you from having to hook it up to a pc.