iPhone, iCloud and Syncing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LincolnsiPod, Jul 26, 2011.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502a

Currently I use my Windows desktop to sync my iPhone with all my apps and music. I also have a MacBook but don't use it for syncing since it only contains my music, and would wipe everything else out, requiring me to restore a backup (which I had to do once before.)

With the advent of iCloud, I'm trying to understand the new technology and if this would resolve the issue of keeping my data consistent across different computers. Will iCloud provide a way to keep all my content synced across different platforms, preventing a situation where, say, if I synced my iPhone on the MacBook, it wouldn't lose certain apps and other content because that data was only stored on my Windows PC iTunes library?

Is there actually a way to keep things synced without using iCloud? I've been researching for a solution but kept getting confused by all the recent terminology on keeping things "in the cloud." Eeesh. :p

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

What media/content do you want to Synced across all of your devices?

3. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502a

My apps, photos, vids and music, basically keeping all my iPhone data consistent across different iTunes library so I don't have to worry about syncing it. Currently I've disabled many of the syncing options on my MacBook to avoid any potential fiascos while I'm on the road.

4. Fineky macrumors newbie

iPhone, iCloud and Syncing?

My brother and I share a iTunes account and we both have an iPhone, with iCloud photos and other things are shared automatically, what if I don't want him to see my contacts/photos, but I still want iOS 5.

5. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Turn off iCloud syncing.

6. shandyman Suspended

i'm assuming the iTunes account you're sharing is on the devices for sharing apps?

all you have to do is have that iTunes account logged into the store in settings. you don't need to use it for iCloud, just each have your own iCloud account in there, so you each have your own contacts etc synced. Simples.