iPhone iCloud backup preference

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jr866gooner, Mar 8, 2014.

1. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Hello,

Had iOS for around 7-8 months now I think and had my blue 5c since November. Given that I have more space I find myself taking lots of pictures. I noticed that my icloud backup totals 1.3 gb! I know it doesn't sound like much but at times it can take between 2 and 5 minutes when doing a manual backup.

I'm not complaining about the lengthy time it can take sometimes but my photos backup is selected and that amasses 1.1gb. I am merely curios because if I either chose to not backup or even backup using an alternative method my backup would be a nice little 200mb backup and no doubt backup/restore in moments.

How do you all backup your camera roll and pictures?

Do you use the native icloud selection, Dropbox or one drive as an alternative?

What do you think would be the quickest or even the most simplistic?

If you turn on said auto backup feature of either 3rd party app to backup camera roll how does it work? Does it auto backup? Is it manual? Is it quicker than icloud?

Look forward to hearing how you go about your backups especially pics and videos etc!

2. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I backup my pictures to iCloud, plus I use dropbox. Dropbox is very simple and will auto backup your entire camera roll, so you can delete them from your phone if you run out of space and then can view them on dropbox. As you take pictures, when you open up the dropbox app, it will auto save your new pictures as well. It has one of the very best user interfaces for a photo storage app, in my opinion, as it organizes the thumbnails by the date the pictures were taken. Flicker also gives you a terabyte for free, which I think is another good option (and you can make all your photos private if you want to). I'm not crazy about the UI though.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Dropbox b.c icloud stores photos in your camera roll. iCloud cannot actually be used to store photos like Dropbox does.

4. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I think shared photostreams will save photos forever with no size limitations, but I am not positive.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

cloud: iCloud, Photostream, Dropbox and Google Drive

local: 1 desktop, 2 laptops, 2 portable HDD and 1 file server

6. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Up to 1000 pics or the 5gb limit (free sub) which ever you hit first. After that, your newest pic will replace the oldest.

7. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I understand that is true about regular photostream, but if think I read that shared photostreams have no limit.

8. jr866gooner thread starter macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Thanks, how often does it upload? Will it upload when I'm out on 3G etc? I don't really want to eat up mobile data on the upload everytime I take a picture!

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You can set it up to backup on wifi only.