iPhone "iCloud" lock question (NOT an "i need help")

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vertigomap, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Vertigomap macrumors newbie

This is just a curious question, I'm new here so if I'm breaking a rule correct me, don't assault me. I was just curious about this whole anti-theft security presented by iOS7. Really nice feature, pretty much does its job so far. But not everyone out there is a thief and its sad to see these iPhones sometimes go to waste. For example I came across an iPhone 5S in a friends car one night. She didn't know who owned it as she's constantly driving multiple friends everywhere. She kept it a while and asked around to see if anyone lost it, everyone said no. Except for one friend who left back to his country permanently. So she contacted him and he said he DID lose it, he did ask it be locked (it had his contact information set in by Apple if the phone was found), BUT since he left the country, he sold the replacement iPhone and just left. He said he didn't mind her keeping the phone. She understands how this whole lock and Apple ID thing works, and the guy knows nothing about his Apple ID. Before she could contact him again he got arrested in his country for something and he won't be out in a year or two. Now she cannot contact him to recover it, so its a brick. She knows I love messing and modding phones so she let me keep it. Now I have a locked iPhone 5S, mint and unlocked carrier which is practically a brick. So I got curious and wondered "what if." I know how iPhones and Androids run on an app system. For example I own a rooted Android with a custom ROM, kernel, the whole nine and I know that everything runs as an application, typically in .apk format. I deleted the lockscreen app from the system to toss in a totally different one. You can delete certain vital system apps and kill your phone (always fixable). Same with the iPhone. When I had my jailbroken iPhone 4S, I deleted the darn Game Center from the stock apps to avoid it harassing me in every game I'd play. That made me wonder "what if." What if we locate and destroy that app to configure the phone, or at least that Apple ID log in section? Now I don't condone stealing and am 100% in favor for Apple's new approach on smartphone security, but what about those of us who actually have a "good faith" motive to get passed the security? Its just a curious question in which I would love to hear opinions and possibilities. I understand the next stump would probably be accessing system folders and so on, but you must walk before you can crawl so I'm focused mainly on my theorey. Please take this seriously.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's a great wild story but no matter what the reason is behind it its still not possible to circumvent that security feature.
    Its placed there by Apples activation servers and the phone will not get passed that with no amount of editing or deleting system files or folders.
    In other words you're sol.

3. Vertigomap thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I was figuring so. But I was assuming since this is all initiated by this "app" (also assuming that the whole setup process is an app like the old iOS' and most things on the phone), then there is no way this setup "app" can go thru Apple. The setup REQUIRES you to have some sort of connection to proceed right? If the setup is removed, there is no to communicate with Apple to see any registered Apple ID's at the moment. This is all hoping that removing the whole setup process will just take you straight to the home screen. Sure there's a chance you still can't use iTunes or the App Store because the Apple ID may still be registered to the phone, but at least the phone is free to use for all else (calls, internet, etc)

4. I7guy macrumors G5

You won't be able to make calls unless the phone is activated. Maybe internet on wifi only.

5. Vertigomap thread starter macrumors newbie

I wouldn't mind using it as an "iPod Touch" I mean its better than nothing. I look at it sitting in my drawer each day and wonder if there will ever be hope for it.

6. I7guy, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014

I7guy macrumors G5

Web search iPhone activation lock bypass, have at it and let us know how it turns out.

Do you think it's that easy that a forum member would know how to do it?

Scores of criminals are waiting for your answer.

Seriously, the most asked question every by every thief and ne'er do well. Regardless of the intent to bypass the lock, whether well intentioned or criminal, the same rules apply to all. If there is a way around the activation lock, it is on the internet somewhere. Search the internet.