Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I know this will cause a lot of flames, but i'd like the idea

A new iPhone with edge to edge bigger screen with the home button removed and the power button acting as the home button. This would allow for a bigger screen, removing of another button to make the phone more simplistic and save money in the production of the iPhone

(hold for siri in which you can ask the phone to power off or a long hold for power off)

flame on!

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
So every time you want to go to the homescreen you want to have to awkwardly press the power button? (If you're holding it with one hand) Seems weird

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
...and how do you close apps or go to the home screen? Also with the hold button? Seems like an inconvenience and a step backwards. Of course, you could put it somewhere on the screen, but that will either get in the way, cause people to accidentally hit it, or likely both.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I haven't thought much about the functionality, just look.

Maybe one of the volume keys could be the new 'home button' to the accommodate edge to edge screen. When I grip my phone, my fingers are near the volume keys so it could work.

I am so use to clicking the home button it's hard to think in different ways.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
What about a soft, swipe option for home? It could be done...The home button is one of the most frequent components that fails, both on the iPhone and the iPad.

It would need to be something simple, like swiping up from the bottom, else people would go into fits about losing the ability to operate the phone one-handed.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sounds like almost every iPhone mockup we see. Just make the screen bigger and remove the bezel. :p

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
What about a soft, swipe option for home? It could be done...The home button is one of the most frequent components that fails, both on the iPhone and the iPad.

I've had (and still do) have problems with my home button. It's super annoying. But once you start adding crazy gestures and things to replace a home button, you ruin the iPhone. The iPhone is being known for being the most simple device ever. If you're ever lost and are unsure of where you may be, you press the home button and every thing is solved. My grandmother knows that the home button if your life savor, if you don't know where you are. She would not be able to adapt to swiping actions and things like that. I'm pretty sure that's the same for the average consumer who knows nothing about technology. Or at least, very little.

The home button will never be removed... And if it ever is removed, it will be replaced with something else. A touch button for example.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
One thing I love about the iPhone (and Samsung Android phones) is the presence of a physical button on the front that wakes the device. There's nothing more annoying than having to reach around the top or edges of a device for the power button to wake the damn thing (I'm looking at you Nokia Lumia 710 with your physical Windows key that does absolutely nothing to wake the device).

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Problem with edge to edge, especially on the iPhone, look how easily the glass already cracks and shatters. Just imagine what would happen if it was edge to edge vs as is now with the buffer ability from the housing which already is pretty weak as far as durability. I know my GSII can take way more abuse when dropped with no case, not a scratch or crack... however I'd still be worried with it if it were edge to edge like people are also hoping for on the GSIII.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Problem with edge to edge, especially on the iPhone, look how easily the glass already cracks and shatters. Just imagine what would happen if it was edge to edge vs as is now with the buffer ability from the housing which already is pretty weak as far as durability. I know my GSII can take way more abuse when dropped with no case, not a scratch or crack... however I'd still be worried with it if it were edge to edge like people are also hoping for on the GSIII.

You also need to have a certain amount of edging to avoid accidental screen presses from other parts of your hands as you hold the device.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
the home button is easily the worst designed piece of every generation iPhone.

I'd say it's do for a re-design, probably not a total removal. Apple is too keen on being idiot proof and removing the home button may cause confusion for the average user. They could easily make the button much smaller, make it touch sensitive, etc. There are numerous phones out there right now doing this.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
the home button is easily the worst designed piece of every generation iPhone.

I'd say it's do for a re-design, probably not a total removal. Apple is too keen on being idiot proof and removing the home button may cause confusion for the average user. They could easily make the button much smaller, make it touch sensitive, etc. There are numerous phones out there right now doing this.

It could definitely do with being a bit more reliable, that's for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.