iPhone image stabilization

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rawdawg, Apr 10, 2013.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I googled to see if there was a way to stabilize video on the iPhone and was surprised the search results were of people trying to turn it off. I didn't know it was on to begin with.

When I take videos it is very shaky and I have a steady hand.

Do you think mine is turned off somehow? It really does not look like anything is on

Edit: I have the iPhone 5.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

As the resulting videos prove, afraid you obviously don't!

3. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

Not to one-up you, but I am a professional camera operator for film/TV.... So trust me when I say I have a steady shooting hand.

But it may also mean I'm extra picky for image stabilization. And from my experience it appears there is absolutely no image stabilization. Yet why am I reading so many people on the internet claiming they 'don't like the image stabilization and wish they can turn it off'. I've even read what appeared to be tests on the iPhone's IS capabilities compared to previous models.

Unless I am wrong and somehow it is turned off on my phone (which doesn't seem to be the case), allow me to clear this up for the non-videographers out there.

There does not appear to be any image stabilization in the iPhone. People complaining about blurry images are confusing IS with shutter speed. If you have lots of light, the shutter speed (or in this case sensor readout--let's not get hung up on semantics) will allow for a sharper image by being significantly faster. In low light, you will get blurrier images.

I deal with this every day... The only way I am wrong is if someone can tell me there is IS and somehow it is turned off on my phone.