iPhone 'In-App' Purchases Transfer to iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by benhollberg, Nov 7, 2010.

1. benhollberg, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Does anyone happen to know if I have an app on my iPhone and I use in-app purchase for a subscription and then transfer that app to my iPad, will the in-app purchase also transfer over so that I won't have to buy it again. I am wanting to know this for the NBA Game Time app, the in-app purchase is $10 so it isn't something I want to pay twice. If anyone knows about this please reply. Thanks.

2. chris566 macrumors regular

I'm pretty certain that you will not be charged again if you are using the same itunes account. You have do download the in-app purchase again on your other device.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I can confirm that you will NOT be charged for re-downloading in-app game purchases. It works the same as-if you bought direct from the App Store. So if you buy something in an iPhone game you can re-download it on your iPad.

4. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

5. rlkellermd macrumors newbie

I would like to know this also. I bought league pass for $45 on iPad - I would like to have on iPhone, although I'm afraid of getting charged again.

6. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

According to the two previous members it will transfer over. I am going to try this tonight with the $10 subscription and I'll report back how it works.

How does NBA LP look on the iPad? Isn't it doubled?

7. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

If it charges you, the developer screwed up.

When you implement the in-app purchase API correctly, it will do a round-trip to confirm what in-app purchases you've made and enable the content or features automatically.

The only way it would charge you, is if the developer did something really weird. Even then, I think it would take you through the whole re-purchase process, so you'd have a chance to bail out before getting charged again.

8. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I've actually never done in app purchase before so I am glad to know that even if they screwed up I can back out of the deal. Also I was thinking that even if it charged me twice I could maybe complain to Apple or NBA and see if they could refund my money.

9. rlkellermd macrumors newbie

How does NBA LP look on the iPad? Isn't it doubled?[/QUOTE]

Looks ok on iPad at 2x. Would obviously be better with a native app.

10. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I just tried this, I bought the app on my iPhone and did the in-app purchase. Then connected my iPhone to my Mac and copied the app to iTunes. Then plugged my iPad in and installed the app on my iPad. I open up NBA Game Time and tried to see if it did it. It did not. Then I went to the screen where you can buy the upgrade. I clicked buy and then the box came up that said like are you sure you want to spend another $10? I tapped cancel. So it did not work for me.

Am I doing something wrong here? I also sent and email to the Apple support people asking them about it after this. I should get a response sometime tomorrow.

11. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Why hit cancel? It wont charge you bro, just click yes, we've told you this already...

Also, you did this in a long way, could've just DL'd it on your iPad, no syncing w/ itunes, and just repurchased the app and in app all for free, even though it says it will charge you once you click yes(not cancel) it will say download again for free or something of that nature, just do it, stop the thread and go enjoy the app!!!!! :D

12. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Just did it, it worked. Said it was downloaded for free. I just got a little hesitant when it said it was $10 again. Oh well. Thanks.

13. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Yeah but you had about 5 people telling you it would be free in this thread, so don't know why you were hesitant.....anyway, enjoy

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I really wish Apple would fix this. My heart skips every time I redownload an app or in-app purchase and I see the "You will be charged $$" message, even though I KNOW I won't be charged again.

15. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Sounds like this is something you need to fix with yourself, not apple. Most people would see it once, and never think about it again...as most do.....

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But some people would see it once, and never redownload an app or in-app purchase, thinking they will be charged again for it.

17. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

You shouldn't be charged again. One thing to note though, unless the Apps are "universal" with a + next to the price, then you may want to consider getting the iPad/HD specific versions of apps (which you have to pay for.) I've found that some games look alright in 2x mode, but apps involving layout and reading, news, information, managing tasks and so-on look ridiculous in 2x.

I ended up re-purchasing most of my games and apps, and it cost quite a bit, since the iPad versions do cost more. I wish there were more Universal Apps, and the iPad/HD versions all had "something extra" for paying more, with some apps I noticed all they did was "stretch" or re-sample the smaller textures for the iPad, called it HD and slapped a bigger price tag on it. In other cases, there was high-def textures, extra content, and it was worth it. Just pay attention to reviews.

18. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I agree. It happened to me today.

19. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

20. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

If it's not going to charge you it shouldn't say it's going to charge you. That's something Apple should really fix.

21. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Completely agree.