Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
On a tangentially-related note, the iPhone gets my gadget lust excited enough that I will be taking option number two. ;)

Well, my friend...you and I are in a similar boat. I'm a new Cingular customer as of 02/2007, so I am assuming I will have to pay $200 extra (aka full price) for the iPhone. Same price to pay as a customer who terminates his/her contract with another carrier.

Cingular/AT&T has been a good company thus far; haven't had any issues. Don't know what all the complaining was about back in January.

Photo Monkey

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2006
London, UK
If carphone warehouse (chav phone shop of choice) gets an iphone exclusive like they have with prada i will be very very angry
Unlikely. Apple will want to sort out the whole of Europe, or at least western Europe in one go. So it'll go to one of the big four, Vodafone, Orange, O2 or T-Mobile.

chatster18

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2007
Im thinking that you might buy it in store, and then activate it and pay for the plans etc. on iTunes. So you go in, pay your $600, go home tickled pink, hop on iTunes, activate, and enjoy! IMHO :cool:

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
i doubt t-Mobile. I think t-mobile would only agree if they could have USA too. So that leaves vodafone, o2 and orange. Of the three i'd hope for o2, orange are expensive and voda have rubbish coverage (in my area, others may vary).

rainmanbk

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2006
Im thinking that you might buy it in store, and then activate it and pay for the plans etc. on iTunes. So you go in, pay your $600, go home tickled pink, hop on iTunes, activate, and enjoy!

This is a really interesting take on the process, and I'm wondering if it could work. It could be a new way of doing things... Someone who knows about the process, enlighten us. Could this actually be feasable?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
This is a really interesting take on the process, and I'm wondering if it could work. It could be a new way of doing things... Someone who knows about the process, enlighten us. Could this actually be feasable?

This seems actually pretty reasonable. Verizon's activation is almost all online based and I can't see why you wouldn't be able to activate the iPhone on iTunes. That would REALLY cut the time spent in store down. Just buy the hardware & you're out.

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
i doubt t-Mobile. I think t-mobile would only agree if they could have USA too. So that leaves vodafone, o2 and orange. Of the three i'd hope for o2, orange are expensive and voda have rubbish coverage (in my area, others may vary).

I've had excellent coverage with Vodafone everywhere that I've been, along with o2.

In my opinion, it'll Vodafone that gets the iPhone due to their huge European profile. I spend half of my year in Spain where the two main telecoms companies are Telefonica (owned by o2) and Vodafone ES. For when I'm in Spain, I have a Vodafone ES SIM and their coverage is unsurpassable. Even in somewhere like Extremadura which is pretty much a desert.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.