iPhone In-Call Speaker Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MarkyUK, Feb 28, 2011.

1. MarkyUK macrumors member

Hey all,

The last couple of days whenever I speak on the phone it's very quiet - you almost can't hear them at all.

During the call I have pressed the volume buttons so they are at the max but it's still very quiet...

If I put it on Speaker I can hear the person very clearly :/

Unfortunately, I spilt some Sprite over my leg and some of it went over my phone I doubt that would make a difference - but just to let you know incase

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Marky

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Sounds to me like it made a big difference.:D

3. MarkyUK thread starter macrumors member

Hahaha :p Well I thought if it did make a difference - surely it would either just work or not work? Why would it just lower the volume of the call =\

4. patp Guest

the sugary liquid most likely solidified over the ear piece opening or worse inside the ear piece speaker.

no liquids around my phone ever.

5. MarkyUK thread starter macrumors member

Okay so what's the deal? Do I take it to the Genius Bar? Am I likely to have to spend loads of moola? :p

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Apple is not likely to do anything for moisture damage. You can fix it yourself, have it fixed, or buy a new one.

7. MarkyUK thread starter macrumors member

Okay after checking the iFixIt website and seeing the price of an ear speaker is only around £2.00 on eBay - I'm going to try and fix it myself :D

Wish me luck :p

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Wise choice...Ifixit is a top notch site, with plenty of helpful pictures.

9. MarkyUK thread starter macrumors member

Okay I just finished fitting a new earpiece speaker - and still have the same low volume coming through...

Any ideas? Is there another in-call speaker volume I'm not aware of?

10. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

My wife is having the same problem. I don't believe she has spilled any liquids on the phone. Has anyone tried a restore to see if that fixes it?

11. MarkyUK thread starter macrumors member

I think that's what I'm going to have to do. I can only think that it's a software issue now - I'll let you know. :)

12. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I tried that, didn't restore as new though. No matter got a replacement from Apple. Wife is happy ergo I am happy.

13. jw12345678 macrumors member

jw12345678

I had a similar problem, although in my case it was a few drops of hot chocolate. What happens is that the metal mesh which covers the speaker gets clogged up really easily. Try cleaning that with a cotton-wool bud (one of the things you use to clean your ears), preferably with some alcohol on it, particularly in the corners. (Alcohol evaporates really quickly, but helps clean the mesh first.) Also the blunt head of a pin (again in the corners) - but be really careful to scrape the metal clean but not puncture it. I thought my iphone was a gonner, but it was quickly restored to its normal volume.

14. MarkyUK thread starter macrumors member

Hmm maybe I'll have another look inside and clean the mesh bit then.

While I changed the speaker unit - I had to lose the white sticker over one of the screws to take it all apart - Is this going to be a problem if I have to take the iPhone back to Apple ?

15. reznor9 macrumors member

reznor9

I am having the exact same issue.
    My wife spilled her chocowine (it's a chocolate wine) onto my iPhone.
    I quickly dried it off and allowed it to set inside a bag of rice to soak up as much moisture as possible.

Now the next day I powered it on and everything works fine. The buttons were a little sticky but no problems so I thought until I made a phone call. Now the volume is so low I can barely hear it. Like you, on speaker phone or on Bluetooth it sounds great.

Now I've disassembled the phone as per the ifixit guide and I've yet to see any signs of leftover wine inside the phone. Nothing appears to be burned out, nothing sticky, nothing discolored. I haven't cleaned anything just yet. I just have it laying out as I'm questioning what do to next.

Any suggestions?

Btw my water sticker in middle of iPhone is still white.

But the earpiece speaker has a bunch of red dots on it. Are those supposed to be red or are those all water damage stickers on the earpiece speaker that have turned red?

16. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

They are supposed to be white!

17. reznor9 macrumors member

reznor9

So it's possible it's just a bad speaker? Anywhere else I should pay attention to?

18. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Sure, it's possible, but someone on a forum really has no way of knowing.

19. reznor9 macrumors member

reznor9

I was hoping the guy that started the thread could chime in. From what I've read he already replaced his speaker but issue continued. If he or someone else found another reason why his volume is still low I was hoping to hear it. As it might be something simple I can preform before I order another ear speaker.