iPhone in Canada.. helppp

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattsrobertson, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Joined:
    Sep 19, 2007
    Alright,

Forgive me if this has been posted before, I looked and could not find it so if it has been posted just please point me in the right direction.

My question is for all of the current iPhone users right now.

Anyone already using an Iphone on rogers, your help would be greatly appreciated. I'm from Ontario and wanted to make a trip this weekend across the border to pick up an iphone. Everywhere I read though, I hear about the insane data rates on Rogers Wireless.

Is there a way I can have WiFi consistently override using the networks internet? Pretty much everywhere I go on a regular basis has Wifi access (school, home, work, malls, friends houses). And I generally don't expect to be constantly using the internet features outside my regular areas.

For anyone already using rogers and the iphone, does the text messaging on the iPhone use up any of the network data? or does it still use standard text messaging.

I want to be sure that If i buy the iphone, I am not going to be screwed on the data charges.

If I use the Maps, Safari, Weather, Youtube, or other internet based apps, do any of them insist on using Rogers' (or whatever service provider you use) data network? I don't want to, for example, try and look at maps (while connected to a wifi network), think its costing me nothing because its going through the wifi, and have it actually process through Rogers data network.

Ya know what I mean?

Anybody's advice and answers is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Matt Robertson

2. harry454 macrumors 6502

thanks for posting this I was wondering the same, I might be ordering my iphone tonight ship it to cousins and they ship it to me, but I just want to know this stuff

3. zeroMPHfallover macrumors newbie

You can disable the phone's Edge by not entering in the required setup data.

I don't have the phone, but I have read this on these forums.

This way, only Wifi will be used (and it's auto-detected).

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

I have also heard that you can call Rogers and have this specifically disabled in your account.

5. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I have an iPhone on Rogers in the Vancouver area and you have to specifically setup your iPhone to work with EDGE via Rogers. Therefore, no need to worry.

You won't be getting charged for data unless you go out and setup the correct information in your iPhone's EDGE settings.

6. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I'm in Vancouver too and am curious as to what you pay to Rogers each month? And what data plan you are on?

I have my current cell phone with Rogers and a friend in the US has offered to pick me up an iPhone. I'd like to take him up on his offer but not if my monthly rate is going to skyrocket.

Cheers.

Db.

7. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I'm not on any data plan as it'd end up costing me insane amounts. I just use WiFi whenever it's available (my house, basically everywhere I go).

I just use my normal plan.

8. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Great! Thanks a lot. Maybe I'll get him to pick me one up and use it without a data plan until hell freezes over or Rogers drops it's insane rates.

9. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Do you need to subscribe to voicemail, call display etc. to use these on your iPhone? How about conference calls?

Thanks

10. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Obviously you'll need to subcribe to the specific features you want to use (e.g. Call display); I've got no idea about conference calls as I've never tried.

11. anfield11 macrumors regular

I picked up two in Buffalo last Friday. My son and I phone unlocked them using the ModMyiPhome with minimal trouble [we have iMacs].

The Apple iPhone User Guide printed off the Apple site says the iPhone will try Wi-Fi first and if unsuccesful then Edge...so I assume this is true.

The Edge settings on the two we got were, for some crazy reason cingular [was that what AT&T was before?]. If you don't change these, you won't get Edge.

Text messaging [which by the way is great on the iPhone] is just regular text messaging.

I've used Wi-Fi for the Maps, Safari, Weather, Youtube and Stocks etc.

Hope this helps.

12. djjaspa macrumors newbie

Re: Software Updates

I will be getting my I-Phone tomorrow and was wondering. If you update the sotware on your phone, will it reset the unlocking or will the update even work if it's unlocked? I was also told that I have a 1 year Apple Care Warranty. Will I lose that if it's unlocked?

Thanks guys.