iPhone in Canada. soon or ever.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shackler, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

i REALLY want an iphone but i dont want to take the chance with unlocking and jail breaking and possibly bricking my phone. i was hoping for some sort of an annouement at Macworld about an iphone in Canada but still nothing.:confused:

Does anybody know anything about the iphone coming to Canada?
    News or just rumor?
    and with the SDK release can we look forward to see some kind of Document editing app?

2. marksubishi macrumors newbie

Hey man,

I'm from Ontario, using an unlocked iPhone (fw 1.1.2) on fido. I did it myself.

To be honest, the outlook of a canadian iphone is both plausible and at the same time questionable, but all for good reasons. Rogers data rates (for one) are insane. 10mb/10$ where att gets unlimited. unless rogers can make a means for this, it is unlikely.
    I'm sure if you google around, people are stating iphone will be released, but check to sources.

As for me, i bought one opening week (yeah i ventured to new york to buy one) with the thought of it coming to canada - honestly, eBay is you best friend. if ever v2 comes out and is released in canada, you can always eBay it. people will be willing to shed out 300 for the phone (sure you will lose 100 bucks or so, but whatever)

one last note. if you are considering buying and unlocking the phone. be cautious of where. sure you can ebay it, but note if it is unlocked or not.
    if it is not unlocked, make sure check the firmware as well as week that it was released. apparently all the new phones have a 4.6 bootloader version that cannot be unlocked with a free unlocking method and need a simunlocker tool to do so.

but yeah. it is wishful thinking until apple confirms ANYTHING

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I have to say I'm Pissed that's ridiculous It's not that hard gee whiz I wish RIM would make an iPhone killer for us Canadians!

4. atomicparker macrumors member

atomicparker

RIM would be held back by the same considerations as Apple though in terms of data rates, you can't sell an internet phone if the person using it is going to have to pay $1000 a month for data.:mad:

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

RIM uses a compression so it just use much bandwidth also it's not that expensive.

6. marksubishi macrumors newbie

lol... we tried. though it's not canada exclusive and a RIM... it's called the HTC TOUCH.. and yeah, we failed

honestly, it's due to the fact that rogers is the leading company in canada when it comes to any type of phone whatsoever. they bought out fido and they have almost every phone out in canada within them (bell / telus has the few here and there)
    they've got that power to screw canadians over.

7. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

I knew alot of people who were displeased with Rogers when Bell AND Telus both introduced "Unlimited" browsing options, with Bell having the $7 unlimited browsing plan for the Touch, and the $15 unlimited email & IM (and a bonus of unlimited data if you signed up to it by a certain date.. not sure if it's still there) with Telus for any data-based device.

I know of a bunch of people who cancelled their Rogers contract then and there (some paying as much as $400 in cancellation fees) just to take up the offers from the rivals. I'm ashamed by Rogers just playing things quiet until the day they finally get the iPhone.. but when that will be? After the Vancouver Olympics are over?

I'm going to stay with Rogers, and if the iPhone DOES finally come, and it requires a substantial plan, I may pass on it. Half a year ago I purchased an HTC TyTn (definitely not an iPhone) from Rogers for $250 on a 3 year, didn't require me to add a data plan, so I ended up adding the $5 5MB data plan and that's been sufficient for when I'm not in a wifi area. Plus I don't want to change my voice plan from $10 for 250 min & unlimited nights and weekends to an iPhone specific voice plan that may have the same amount of minutes but may cost 5x more for voice alone.

8. marksubishi macrumors newbie

see and that's the thing.
    the fact that rogers is the leading gsm company in canada, they have this kind of power to lock customers in for several years as well pay sums of money for service.. but, quality service. dont get me wrong, they are a weird company, but they do have a decent service, that is only expanding. but, i do feel they are focusing on the wrong things (video calling? COME ON).

no worries though. i do feel the iphone will come to canada.. i do have hopes. but i'm not holding my breath for an early 2008 model. perhaps fall/winter.
    mind you, "video-calling" is in with rogers, as well as 3G. so if rogers can understand that there is a barrier past rims and try to get a little expansive (not bad mouthing them, i had a pearl before the iphone) and consider costs and better rates, imagine how many iphones were sold in the US.. think about how many in canada.

9. Tsuius macrumors regular

The iPhone will not come to Canada until the comwave trademark for the iPhone name is resolved and Rogers learns to play nice with Apple.

The basement upstart comwave is claiming that the name is theirs in Canada even though Apple applied for the trademark first. Rogers will not pay Apple any monthly fees (for iPhone customers) just because they don’t have to since they bought out the competition. I think Rogers will stick with high data rates and RIM. Also Rogers historically has been slow with new cell phones, any high end device take up to one year to show up in their stores / web site.

Apple will eventually come out with an iPhone in Canada that is compatible with Bell or Telus.

10. anfield11 macrumors regular

Or the new licences the government are issuing will be taken up by another Company offering GSM....that will screw them!

11. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I figure Roger's was waiting for a 3g phone. I was disappointed that there has been no mention from Rogers. Not that it matters because I'm going to unlock mine anyway as I'm not interested in paying for a data plan that Im not going to use.

Anyway, i just finally made a trip down to Bellingham Washington to the AT&T store and they wouldn't sell one to me because I was canadian. They asked for my ID. They said they can't sell me one without signing me up with a 3 year contract. I've met a few Canadians with an iPhone and they simply went to a store and bought one. What the heck????

I've found a place that sells unlocked phones locally in Vancouver but last time I checked, they wanted $650 CDN plus tax for one. Redonkulous.

Anyone have any suggestions? I just want to buy one and unlock it myself.

12. marksubishi macrumors newbie

hey man,

Ever since the increase of unlocked iPhones, apple had to stiffen up their acts. They have a locked agreement with AT&T so they can't lose sales and phone services, etc.

Yeah. Without a credit card you cannot buy one. They need it for verification. Not only that but little to no cash either.

One other thing. Most iPhones would be running the new bootloader whichcant be unlocked - only with the chip-sim card thingy. So yeah. Its a little difficult. Third party is your only hope

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Any new company that bought (or will buy? I can't remember if it was sold yet, or just released) the recently released bandwidth, won't have the infrastructure or the cash for a nationwide gsm network. Most likely they would be regional companies. They also wouldn't have the cash to make a deal with Apple. Apple would want nationwide coverage in Canada, not a bunch of regional patches.

Bottom line: it ain't happening anytime soon people. Not even in the centre of the universe, Toronto.

You just going to have to duct tape your cell phone to the back of your iPod Touch.

14. billabong macrumors 6502

I was really hoping for an announcement during the keynote, but that didn't happen. It seems like we will never get it, it's frustrating as I've held out on buying a phone in hopes that the iPhone will be announce. But there is no light at the end of the tunnel right now, Rogers won't say anything neither will Apple. Us consumers are just left waiting.