iPhone in Canada (travelling)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pak^Man, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Hi all,

I will be traveling to Canada from the US for about 2 months, and was hoping to devise some way to have my iPhone available to me there. I’m hoping somebody from Canada or who has traveled to Canada can help me figure this process out.

My current iPhone is an iPhone 4, still under contract with AT$T, and my guess is I wont be able to use that with Canadian carrier. Using data roaming at AT$T would to ridiculously expensive.

Can I jailbreak my old iPhone 3G, and use that with a Canadian pre-paid voice & data plan? Anyone have any experience here? Which provider?

How about month-to-month contracts? Are those possible? Any other tips??

I’m quite lost right now…. Would greatly appreciate your help in getting this conversation started.

Let me know if I can provide any other information that would be useful.

Thanks in advance!! :)

2. darkside flow macrumors 6502

First, you should look into whether or not your iPhone 4 can be unlocked. If not, you will have to use the 3G.

My suggestion is to use Fido. They offer non-contract monthly plans or pre-paid plans. The best is a City Fido plan that offers 2000 or 4000 minutes. There are data add-ons available as well, but I'm not sure if they're compatible with pre-paid plans. The non-contract monthly plans can have 500mb or 1gb data plans added for $25 and $30 respectively.

Your other options are Rogers, Bell, Telus and Virgin, but Fido is the best option due to their non-contract City Fido plan.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

When I was in Canada last (Calgary & Bannf) I used my JB'd 3G on Rogers. They have a couple pay-as-you-go plans that, as I recall, started around $20. I was only in Canada for about a week or so but I used them with very good results (in terms of reception). I'd suggest you contact them online first and see if they can setup you up ahead of time or make things a little easier for you when you get there. All you'd need to do is pick up a Rogers SIM and activate and you should be good to go. This is all, of course, assuming your 3G is capable of being JB'd/unlocked. Otherwise you're screwed. Unless you JB the IP4 you got.

4. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

what ios is your iphone 4 ?

5. Pak^Man thread starter macrumors regular

It's 4.1.... so my understanding that unlocking that is out!

The 3G is 4.0.1.... and I was able to find some information on unlocking that. As much as it will suck going back, at least I'll have an iPhone for the time I'm in canada :)

6. Pak^Man thread starter macrumors regular

how about...

A friend suggested an alternative (albeit a ghetto one)...

• Use the iPhone 4 as voice device with international roaming (I hope to have limited voice use, so there should not be too much cost here, I hope)
    • Turn off 3G/data roaming
    • Use some sort of a MiFi gadget from Rodgers, etc to access the internet using iPhone Wifi

Any thoughts?
    I'll probably be using the iPhone 4 as my email device, also maps, and as my primary GPS (via CoPilot).

This will also give me connectivity for my MBP when I'm not on the road.

Once again, I do appreciate everyone's help!