iPhone in Canada, Voice Only

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by antsmolina, Nov 8, 2010.

1. antsmolina macrumors newbie

I was thinking of buying an iPhone 4 without a data plan in Canada.(voice-only) I'm looking for a cheap plan with unlimited text. Will I have to pay the full $700-800 or will I be able to get a subsidized version with a voice-only plan (with a 3-year contract) valued at about $25/month? Also, even if I have to pay in full for the phone, will I even be able to get a voice-only plan for it? And also, what plan do you recommend, and with what carrier?

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

You'll HAVE to buy it outright if you're not going to want a data plan.

It's also better that way, since if you buy it outright from Apple it's factory unlocked and you can change plans (since you plan on going month to month, as voice only plans are not available)

Check Rogers.com (best provider in Canada other then Wind) and pick the best PAY AS YOU GO plan you want. This way, if you hate the service, you can switch and not buy a whole new phone!

:)

3. antsmolina thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank-you, that covers everything I need to know.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

When I got my 3G, I was able to get it from Rogers at the subsidized price but without a data plan. I believe they no longer allow you to do that, though.

I've heard you can still sign up for a voice + data plan, and then cancel the data portion and pay the ETF. You'll get the subsidized phone price, plus whatever the data ETF is (IIRC around $200).

Or you can buy the phone outright and sign up for whatever plan you want, including PAYG. This might be your best bet as you're not locked into any monthly contract.

5. jay.w macrumors newbie

I agree with most of that post, but could you define "best"? What makes Rogers the "best" provider?

I currently have a factory unlocked iPhone 4 on Koodo (Telus), but am actively shopping around.

6. SnowDX macrumors 6502

And it really would depend on where you live. Where I live Rogers only has coverage in the major cities and the major highways. Go the lake during the summer? No Rogers service. Have family that lives in a small town? No Rogers service. Work out of the city? No Rogers service. Live in a small town? No Rogers service.

So, my opinion is there is no best provider overall. It all depends on the service you require and if the provider can provide that service. The one that can provide you the service you want at an acceptable to you price, is the one that's the best *for you*.

7. g35 macrumors 6502a

Rogers lets you have no data plan for an extra $100. Just sign up to a voice plan and add $30 data add-on like normal (not a voice+data combo plan). You'll get charged $159 or $269 for the phone, and $35 for activation unless they have a promotion going on (both charges will be billed to you, not in-store). Next day call back and say you want to cancel data portion. You'll get an extra $100 charge+tax on your bill plus the pro-rated cost for any days worth of data (so $1 if one day).

Right when you get your phone, preferably at the Apple Store, go to settings>general>network>disable cellular data.

This is based on my experience upgrading (not signing up) at an Apple store in July but it should be the same. Visit a rogers store to confirm this.

8. antsmolina, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

antsmolina thread starter macrumors newbie

So, just to confirm:
    You're saying that I could pay for the subsidized phone ($269) with a $25 student voice-only plan (with a student ID) plus a data plan (so I CAN combine any voice-only plan with any data plan and still pay only $269 with a 3-year contract) and then ONLY pay the DEFC for $100, NOT the EFC (and plus taxes and everything) for a total of about $450 up-front?

EDIT: Also, are the $35 activation fee, the 9-1-1 fee and the $100 DEFC taxable?

9. g35 macrumors 6502a

Yes to all of the above, at least in my experience upgrading 3G --> 4 and going from voice plan to another voice plan. I don't see why it should be different for a new activation, and in fact when I upgraded mine they were waiving the activation fee for new customers.

I find the Rogers in-store reps are more knowledgeable than the ones on the phone...phone people told me things like I would get charged for a full month of data no matter what, that I would get a bill the following month for the rest of the cost of the phone ($400), that the iPhone simply will not work for anything without a data plan, etc.

Store guys told me the actual scenario that ended up happening, so I'd talk to them to confirm my account.

And everything is taxable...when I bought it the receipt said $194 (159+35) and the $100 and taxes on 294 appeared on the bill.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

This has worked for me in the past with Telus .... Buy the cheapest Telus phone with a voice and text plan only. Then go buy an iPhone somewhere else ... go back to Telus and say that you got this iPhone for your birthday and want to activate it on the cheap No Data plan you have.

They are then in the position of either getting that iPhone onto your plan or telling you ... sorry you have to return your birthday gift.

You should look into this a bit more as it was a few years ago I did this. :cool:

11. SnowDX macrumors 6502

You can do the swap online with Telus. Easy, quick, costs $10. Just need to make sure you've picked up a micro-sim from Telus before you do the switch (another $10). (I did it when I got my iPhone 4)

12. antsmolina thread starter macrumors newbie

So I went to the mall, at rogers and bell they give me a flat no. [Apparently] I have to get a data plan in my contract and they've never heard of paying the DETF only. However, at Telus, they actually knew what they were talking about, and they said that I could get a 3-year data plan contract and pay $269, but after a year I could change it for free, or pay $200 right away to cancel it now. I'm going to try to contact Rogers, the staff in-store did not seem very knowlegable

13. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Honestly your best way to go is following my advice. Month to month may be better for you since you can switch to telus one month if you're not liking rogers, etc.

And this way, if you end up really needing a contract, you can still get one down the road on a provider of your choice once you test they're services on pay as you go.

Also, the reason I say Rogers is because of one huge factor: Customer Service. They have the best service over the phone, while telus has the worst. It's much easier to get discounts and a cheaper plan through Rogers Retentions down the road vs. any other provider.

I in total have a $50/month credit (this is several credits added up to one sum so you get the idea) so my plan only costs $41.88/month and I have data (6gb), voice (unlimited calls in/out), unlimited texting (mms included), free voicemail/caller ID etc. And I've only been with rogers for 9 months.

ALSO: I have an entire thread dedicated on HOW to get discounts through Rogers Retentions in my signature. ;)

14. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Customer service. Read my above post and the link in my signature. ;)