iPhone in Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Megan Boyce, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Megan Boyce macrumors newbie

If an iPhone is bought straight from Apple is it possible to use it with one of the pre paid cards ($100/yr top up) kind of thing? Since the note 7 will be a primary phone and this will be a secondary I'm wondering if it's worth it to have both phones on a monthly plan. I know the Samsung phone works with prepaid (simple google search) so I could switch but since that will be the primary I'd rather have that on the plan if possible. ive never used an iPhone on prepaid and don't even know if that's possible? Thanks for the help!!!

2. Megan Boyce thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anybody know? Or can u tell me how I can find out?

3. imlynxy macrumors 65816

Hi , if your phone is SIM unlocked you can use with any provider in Canada and all around the globe. I I used to have Fido in Canada, same Rogers network at the lower price. The only thing you should know if your phone is SIM unlocked.
    What carrier you use now? Did you pay full price for your phone or credit?

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Yes, if you buy a SIM-free ("buy without a carrier") iPhone.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

If it was purchased from a Canadian Apple Store it should be SIM unlocked. As far as I know, that's the only way they sell them.

6. Megan Boyce thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be buying straight from Apple and pay the full $1050 so I think it will be unlocked. From that point I just put in a sim from a a carrier that offers prepaid and I'm good to go?

Ps. Thanks for all the help!

7. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Yes, Megan. If you pay the full price it should be a SIM-free iPhone, so you can use it with any carrier.

8. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

As soon as you put a prepaid sim (without data plan) in your iPhone, go in Settings and turn off the cellular data immediately.

9. Megan Boyce thread starter macrumors newbie

Ye my friend had a a 200 dollar bill because of data getting used up without her knowing lol