Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dudewheresmymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Hey,

I'm looking into buying an iphone now that my verizon contract is up. The only problem that im worried about is the phone's performance in cold weather. I have a friend whose iphone screen cracked when i pulled it out to make a call on a cold winter day. Is this a common occurance? And, if it were to happen to me, would apple replace the phone under warrenty?

Thanks,

Michael

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
I havent had any problems (down to 15° F) EXCEPT i find if my fingers are frozen solid, the touch screen doesnt respond as well. Not sure why.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
yeah when it's really really cold, i a couple instances i ve left my touch in my car (-15 celsius) while i trained wheni came out and used it, it wasn t as responsive, still worked though... i ve walked around using it and jogging at those temperatures and its fine.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Keep in mind if you wear gloves you'll need to take them off in order to use the phone's interface

And trust me, if iPhones were regularly breaking due to cold weather it would be ALL over the news.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
ahhahah yeah very true i actually cut off the tip of the right hand glove off so i can stick out the tip of my index and use my touch....:D

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
northface e-tip glove... works with iphone/touch perfectly!!!!

<-- i need to find me some of those.

the only problem i have with the iPhone in cold (0-15F coldest) is i dont want to take my hands out of my gloves to operate it! coldest ive had it was signle digits, it sat all day in my jeep while i was skiing. the LCD was slow to respond, but it still functioned. have never noticed any deformation b/w the glass and aluminum exterior.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
<-- i need to find me some of those.

the only problem i have with the iPhone in cold (0-15F coldest) is i dont want to take my hands out of my gloves to operate it! coldest ive had it was signle digits, it sat all day in my jeep while i was skiing. the LCD was slow to respond, but it still functioned. have never noticed any deformation b/w the glass and aluminum exterior.

yeah less responsive and not so bright but still works fine,and as soon as it warms up it goes back to normal...

kdarling

macrumors P6
I havent had any problems (down to 15° F) EXCEPT i find if my fingers are frozen solid, the touch screen doesnt respond as well. Not sure why.

Others say the same. One theory about cold fingers is this:

Capacitive screens work because your body is a large enough capacitor that it can draw off charge from the touch screen.

But you're not as conductive when your surface blood vessels constrict in the cold. Some people are more affected this way. Thus you won't draw off enough charge to be noticed.

This is related to why some people feel the need to "press harder" at times and that actually works. It has nothing to do with the screen, but it thins out their skin's insulation.

Gitgat

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
I have taken my iphone snowmobiling several times, and its been cold, with temps at or below zero Fahrenheit,
it usually sits in an outside pocket on my chest, cause i keep one earphone in to hear it ring just in case

with 100+mph winds pelting my jacket the phone gets COLD, well below the suggested temps, and it still functions fine. i turn it off though when i go inside until it warms up, as it is metal and tends to attract condensation.

but it works fine in the cold. as good as any phone, the LCD slows down when it gets that cold but other than that its fine.

and walking between classes even with sub zero temps it functions perfectly normal for those short bits

drb6

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2005
Boston, MA
I have taken my iphone snowmobiling several times, and its been cold, with temps at or below zero Fahrenheit,
it usually sits in an outside pocket on my chest, cause i keep one earphone in to hear it ring just in case

:eek: :eek: you're a brave soul! hope you got that extra warranty from apple...although I'm sure you protect it well

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
FWIW, here's the "Environmental requirements" from Apple:

* Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
* Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
* Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
* Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.