iPhone in England

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carfac, Jun 14, 2008.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I am going on vaca in the UK next week- Ireland, Scotland and London area. I have a hacked/unlocked iPhone (on TMo in the USA), and plan on buying a "local" sim while over there.

Is there any company's sim I should look at that will work all over? Also, can I get voice AND EDGE, or will I only be able to get Voice?

What kind of $$ am I looking at?

Thanks!

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

O2 will probably be your best bet as they are the official iPhone network and so have the best Edge coverage.

A data bolt-on will cost £7.50 for a months subscription.

3. ACDeag macrumors regular

Most networks work everywhere, exception maybe highlands of Scotland etc. I am not sure if all networks do Edge, I know that Orange and O2 do. O2 do a Mobile Web bolt on on Pay as You Go for £7.50 that gives you pretty much unlimited data.

http://www.o2.co.uk/mobilestariffs/tariffs/paygo/paygoboltons0153

4. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

In case you didn't realise Ireland and Scotland are not IN in England!!!!! England is a country just as Scotland and Ireland are countries, it like saying that Canada and Mexico are in the USA!

Rant Over!

As for your question when in Scotland or England (london area) you would do well to look into getting an O2 SIMplicity SIM card look it up on their site o2.co.uk.

As for when in Ireland, they have a different telecoms network over there so you are best looking on the Irish O2 website - o2online.ie

5. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Definitely opt for either an o2 or Vodaphone sim card
    (they ultimately are the two which have the best coverage in my opinion).

R-Fly

6. ACDeag macrumors regular

Or get one from www.ebay.co.uk

7. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

sometimes the ignorance of people travelling the world is just beggars belief..

change the thread title! and learn more geography on your iphone on the way over...:rolleyes:

ireland isnt even part of the UK!!!! lol

its like me saying Cuba is part of North america coz its not that far away...

absolute ignorance of the highest order.

8. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

9. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

10. swanage macrumors newbie

Dear Barry Took (C/O BBC Points Of View)

I find it disgusting and amazing that some people can not even understand the basic principals of geography of the British Isles.

I am not going to answer the question posed by the OP I am simply go to rant and rave about my superior knowledge of countries and lands and be a pedantic nob.

The kids of today....now when I was at school....

http://www.o2.co.uk/mobilestariffs/tariffs/paygo

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Don't worry dude, I hear Brits saying that Canada is not in North America because they think North America is the same as the United States all the time.

Just an FYI, England Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland are all part of the United Kingdom, whereas Southern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland is nothing to do with us (although it is still part of the British Isles), and so if your going there you will need 2 sim cards, one for the United Kingdom and one for the Republic of Ireland to get local rates, I think, correct me somebody if I'm wrong.

12. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Well it's not quite like saying Canada is in the USA. It's more like saying California is in Texas. Canada and the USA are separate countries; the nations within the UK (England, Scotland, Wales (Northern) Ireland) are not...at least according to this http://geography.about.com/cs/politicalgeog/a/statenation.htm
    That's true no matter what Alex Salmond would like to have us believe: not all of us Scots share his attitude!