iPhone in Greece, to buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vasileios, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Vasileios macrumors regular

Vasileios

I've found an iPhone in a reasonable price and i am thinking of buying it. i've contacted the seller asking of what firmware it is, if it is jailbreak, unlocked etc.

He answered me: "It is activated, jailbreak and unlocked in the most recent firmware 1.1.2"

I am going to meet the seller in person and make the exchange...

If I insert my sim and the iPhone can make a call is it OK? Should i know anything more?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Make sure its software unlocked...I don't know if its possible to hardware unlock 1.1.2, but if it is, you may run into trouble with updates etc.

3. Vasileios thread starter macrumors regular

Vasileios

How can i make sure if it is software unlocked in a meeting? If I insert my sim and the iPhone can make a call isn't it OK?

4. Vasileios thread starter macrumors regular

Vasileios

Can somebody please help a nooby like me with this?

I have a meeting with the seller tomorrow morning and don't know what to do!

If i insert my sim and make/receive a call i guess that the iPhone is unlocked right?

Happy holidays everyone, and the happiest year ever to the person that will answer to my post :p

5. cookie1105 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

Ask the seller some more about the phone. He should be able to tell you how it was unlocked. If he can't, don't buy it.

It just seems a bit odd because 1.1.2 can't be software unlocked yet and the hardware unlock is very complex.
    ]You can always check the firmware version yourself under settings > general >
    about.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but if it is hardware unlocked it should be resistant to bricking from further updates.

Anyway if you do decide to buy it, I hope you enjoy it.

6. Vasileios thread starter macrumors regular

Vasileios

Thanks a lot cookie1105!

I think it is upgraded to 1.1.2

Hopefully I'll have it in 2-3 days (when i meet him) and i'll make a post. Thanks again

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes, try your sim card. If it works it's fine. You MIGHT have to run iworld to select your country.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Actually 1.1.2 is NOT the issue, it's the bootloader, and the easiest way to look it up for newbies that works in most cases is to look at the firmware.

Out of box 1.1.2 cannot be software unlocked at this time.

1.1.1 can be updated to 1.1.2 and then be unlocked. So this is what the person is selling if it works with your SIM card.