iPhone in hand to unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by p1ally, Mar 30, 2015.

1. p1ally macrumors regular

p1ally

Weird story, bear with me.

I have a 5S that I have yet to unlock, I owe AT&T $50 for my final bill after switching to t-mobile. Bleh, I know.

I have a friend who lives out in France who just broke her phone, and is buying my 5S. She needs the phone ASAP, and asked (begged) me to ship it out today. I'm going to pay AT&T so they'll unlock my phone, but last time it took around 24 hours to confirm the unlock. This was like 2 years ago though, so I'm not sure if this is still accurate.

So my question is- if I submit the unlock request today, and ship the phone today, will I need the phone physically in hand to complete the unlocking process?

2. smokescreen220 macrumors regular

smokescreen220

No...once they grant the device unlock...it just needs to be restored through iTunes....

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

They no longer need to be restored after the unlock request has been granted, just insert a different provider SIM Card.

4. p1ally thread starter macrumors regular

p1ally

5. vietalogy macrumors 6502

+1

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I heard this, but is this true? Why did we need to use iTunes in the first place and how does it work now?

7. vietalogy macrumors 6502

Not sure what changed but after I have confirmation that it's unlocked I just inserted another carrier sim in a iPhone 4s and 6 and didn't have to restore.

8. p1ally thread starter macrumors regular

p1ally

Interesting. I just got the email from AT&T confirming the unlock, but it does tell me to restore the phone.. I'm sending it to my friend with the original (now dead) At&t sim card in place. I can't imagine she'll have any issues (fingers crossed).

9. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

Once she puts another sim in there, she'll be fine.

You can confirm unlock either way, so a restore isn't necessary.