iphone in Italy

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eye-phone, Aug 30, 2011.

1. eye-phone macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm a student going to study in Italy for a year. I intend on buying an iphone there.

My main query is whether I should get an iphone along with one of the contracts that I hear vodafone/3 mobile, etc offers or whether I should get one without a contract and consequently buy a SIM separately. My main constraint with respect to the contract is that I intend to stay in Italy only for a year, after which I will be mostly settling elsewhere. (In that case, I assume I will have to unlock the phone for use elsewhere, but I don't mind that).

I guess it goes without saying that I prefer the plan that is more cost-effective.

I know this is more of a connection query than an iphone one, but I would really appreciate if someone (ideally living in Italy) give me some tips in regard to this.

Thanks in advance.

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

To sign up for a contract you most likely need to be a citizen with credit so that you can't just grab a phone and run off.

If you purchase the phone outright you may be able to sign up for month to month service that can be canceled anytime by you.