iPhone in Italy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crewrules101, Aug 11, 2009.

1. crewrules101 macrumors member

This is a post regarding using an iPhone in Italy:

Questo è per gli italiani che hanno un iPhone. Sono uno studente all'universita' a San Francisco. Fra un anno, andro' in Italia per un anno accademico a Pavia. Vorrei sapere se sia possibile sbloccare il iPhone per metterlo sul Vodafone o TIM. Il servizio in America mi dice che non è possibile farlo, ma ho pensato che un italiano vero saprà la risposta giusta. L'altro idea che ho, è comprare un iPhone 3GS in italia che non e' bloccato.

Anche se voi mi pottrebbe dire, come funziano i cell in italia? Per essempio, quanto costano i cell li, e come si usa? Sia per abbonamento o pre-pagato? Non voglio lasciare il mio iPhone a casa in San Francisco per un anno intero, ma se non sia possibile usarlo senza pagare più che 200USD al mese all'azienda americana per il servizio, penso di lasciarlo a casa!

Grazie mille per i vostri risposti!
    -Scott

2. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

you can buy a prepaid TIM sim card for 15 euro or so (don't remember exactly). If you jailbreak your iphone then you can run ultrasn0w to software unlock your att iphone.

you have several internet data plans, but the internet 10 is the most interesting one, you pay 10 euro a month for 50 mb per day..

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yes, you can purchase an unlocked iPhone in Italy. You may get a better deal in it if you sign up for service with Vodafone or someone else, but you can buy it straight up with no subscription for €699 I think (that's the price for the 32GB). Of course, if you have a U.S. phone already and you don't mind jailbreaking and unlocking, then that's probably the cheapest alternative. You can then stick any SIM card into it and it will work fine. Granted, you won't have things like visual voicemail and you may have issues with push notifications, but I guess it's all about what's most important to you. One thing to note, if you're considering purchasing one in Italy, is that if you ever have any problems with it you'll need to take it back to Italy to get it serviced.
    Good luck!
    And completely off topic, my father in law teaches at the University in Pavia. It's a good school!