iphone in japan for wifi only?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pkananen, Apr 28, 2008.

1. pkananen macrumors newbie

I know my at&t iphone won't work in Japan, but is it worth taking just to connect to wifi networks? How accessible will hotspots (either paid or free) be?

2. pauld macrumors regular

In Tokyo at least (with my iPod Touch), I managed to find at least one patchy unlocked network every other block or so (most notably a widespread one called 'BB User").
    Lots of coffee shops and fastfood joints will have free or paid for wifi networks & there seemed to be three blanket paid for ones (maybe one was called 'fon'?) that were even available deep in the metro. When I return in September I'll look into signing up to one - especially with the prospect of wifi VOIP apps to phone home for free.

3. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

iPhone in japan will be 3G and people will be very happy as they can use 3G on the go and then when they get home use their blazing 1TBPS or whatever japan have now on broadband, probably 30MBPS on their home/office router and not pay expensive data rates. im assuming noone will take out an iPhone contract with unlimited data plan.

4. pkananen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'll only be there for 10 days in May before 3g hits.