iphone in lake need advice but what to do next

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hsleiman, May 27, 2009.

1. hsleiman macrumors regular

So here's my situation:

Last weekend I drunkenly sacrificed my iPhone 3g to the gods of the lake I was at. I fished it out about a day later and needless to say, my phone is toast. I have an old razr lying around that I've been using for now. My question is this: my mother is a current Sprint customer and has been looking into ATT for awhile now. If she waits until the rumored new iPhone comes out can she buy it for the subsidized price and can we simply swap sims and cancel the data plan on my account? She has no need for an iPhone and said she does not care to do this if its possible with ATT. Thanks for the info mac rumors!

2. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Yep.

Easy as pie.

Before you swap sims though, have ATT block ALL data on your current phone. After your mother has activated her iPhone on her line (she will have to cancel the iPhone plan after the switch), you can pop your sim in and go about your daily business. You'd have already blocked all data on your phone and will be good to go.

Also, look into selling your iPhone on craigslist or ebay as water damaged. Some people are into that.

3. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

4. hsleiman thread starter macrumors regular

Would it be wise to tell the ATT associate activating my mother's phone what we intend on doing or should we just activate the new phone, wait a couple of days and then call ATT to make the necessary changes to the data plan? Thanks for the quick replies guys!

EDIT: I heard if I did the out of warranty service with apple my ATT contract would be extended another 2 years... Is this true? It does not seem like it would be b/c I am going through Apple for repair and not ATT. Thanks for any info