iPhone in Montreal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by g0odfr1end102, Jul 30, 2014.

1. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

Good day to all!

My girlfriend and I are moving to Montreal on August 7th. Both of us have an iPhone 5S, I wanted to know what you guys think the best provider was in that particular city: Rogers, Fido...? We are both looking for about 4gB of data and unlimited text.

Second question. I think that like many people here, I will be upgrading to the iPhone 6 when it comes out in September. Should I start a contract with my iPhone 5S, or should I wait for the 4.7 screen? ;) I'm not familiar with Northern America's policies (I'm French, nobody's perfect eh?). The idea would be to pay $499 for the 64gB version (or $399 if they *finally* decide to go 128gB on us).

Hope someone will be able to help me!

Ps: on a side note, I didn't find any similar topics, I hope I'm not double posting...

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'm with Fido and just visited Montreal this weekend - had no issues with service. You should note that Rogers & Fido are on the same network while Bell and Telus also share a 3G network (maybe LTE as well). They also own a bunch of smaller carriers. There are some carriers unique to Quebec, you may want to look at those for better prices but I'm not sure how good the service would be.

With the big carriers, you'd be signing a 2-year contract and plans can be fairly expensive for how much data you want although you may get some sort of deal if you sign up together. Personally, I'd wait for the iPhone 6 if you're going to take a contract. For now, see if you can unlock your phone if it's GSM and just go on prepaid until the next iPhone comes out.

3. g0odfr1end102 thread starter macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

Thank you very much for these precious informations Sviato! I really appreciate it!

4. g35 macrumors 6502a

To build on what sviato said, these are the big 3: Rogers, Bell and Telus. Each owns a cheaper brand (Fido, Virgin and Koodo, respectively). Rogers also owns Chatr.

Bell, Telus, and their other brands use the same network. I am pretty sure you will have very good coverage with any of these companies.

You could also look into Videotron and Wind (but Wind doesn't have LTE)

With any of the big 3 I am pretty sure they will let you use your 5S with no contract. You pick a plan from the website, and get it on a month to month basis. When the 6 comes out, you can start a 2 year contract. Only certain plans will enable you to get a 64GB phone for $439 (the more expensive plans)

It may be wise for you to spend full price ($919) on an iPhone. This way it will be unlocked and you can use it on any Canadian carrier or abroad. When you get it for $439 from the Carrier it is locked to that carrier and costs $20-50 to unlock. With Rogers, you get $20 off for bringing your own phone and no contract. That's a savings of $480 over 2 years. You spend an extra $480 on the phone so it balances out evenly plus you get the bonus of an unlocked phone.

5. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Ils partagent tous le même réseau, enfin je crois. Personnellement, je suis avec telus, ils sont les meilleurs d'après moi, les autres sont tous des voleurs, surtout Bell.