Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHWright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Ok, got my first iPhone (3GS of course) last week, now need some kit so I can play music in my car...

At the moment I just have the standard factory fitted stereo as I was waiting to get the iPhone before installing a new one.

What connections/inputs/outputs should I be looking for on the new car stereo? Or can I play via Bluetooth??

Obviously the fewer cables the better, but avoiding the FM transmitter option!

Will probably get the Tom Tom for iPhone when it's available, does that have any music capabilities? The advert seems to suggest it does, but I couldn't find much more information...

Anyone comments, helpful dos and don'ts gratefully received..... (or direct me to a thread where this has been discussed before!)

NSK123

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008
you can use either bluetooth or an aux input, bluetooth is one cable less. Personally I have the Griffin Itrip Auto which is a cigarette charger with a built in FM Transmitter, which means I only have one cable

I have the Iphone mounted on a DLO Vent Mount with the Griffin Itrip plugged into it, while running Sygic GPS software on it, it's not a mess just one cable fro m the phone.

I have backgrounder installed so I can just minimize the GPS and change songs then open the Sygic app again without re-entering my route.

Either way you WILL need atleast one cable to charge the Iphone plugged to the cigarette holder, because Navigation software eats away your battery life.

If you don't wanna jailbreak for backgrounder I guess if your car stereo supports it you could run Ipod on the Iphone BEFORE launching the Navigation app and then switch songs via the carstereo buttons while connected with bluetooth, but then again you would need a stereo that supports such setup.

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I had the above dilemma, using FM transmitters were ok for where i live but further afield I had to ask 'the wife' to find an epty radio channel.

I saw the tomtom dock an noticed the side has an Aux (3.5mm audio socket) on the side so i wanted to get a replacement radio with an Aux socket too, found one which also had bluetooth with integrated mic for calling loved it instantly and when i upgraded to 3.0 i noticed it does A2DP too!

So for iPod i use the cable, iPhone at present A2DP BT for calls and music, CD MP3's too!

And best i got it for under £100 from Argos!!!

It's this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0013FATZC/interactiveda3054-21
the JVC KD-BT11

Best of all if you want to control the ipod from your header unit with proper connector and charger you can get the JVC KS-PD100 add on

JHWright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2009
that's great info - cheers.

I have a cigarette charger so battery life shouldn't be a problem.

Does the iPhone pair with the Stereo BT?? I was under the impression the iPhone didn't pair with anything non-Apple!

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Yeah the BT initially (prior to 3.0) only worked as voice eg BT headsets of most makes.

Now post 3.0 you have the added functionality of A2DP (bluetooth stereo music) as well as voice.

BUT............ you caqnnot control the music through BT, only function i found is play/pause track, but seeing as my phone is in a mount it isnt too far to skip to next track as normal.

computermilk

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Ok, got my first iPhone (3GS of course) last week, now need some kit so I can play music in my car...

At the moment I just have the standard factory fitted stereo as I was waiting to get the iPhone before installing a new one.

What connections/inputs/outputs should I be looking for on the new car stereo? Or can I play via Bluetooth??

Obviously the fewer cables the better, but avoiding the FM transmitter option!

Will probably get the Tom Tom for iPhone when it's available, does that have any music capabilities? The advert seems to suggest it does, but I couldn't find much more information...

Anyone comments, helpful dos and don'ts gratefully received..... (or direct me to a thread where this has been discussed before!)

i'm going to wait until the Tom Tom dock come out =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.