iPhone in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by flat6, Mar 13, 2008.

1. flat6 macrumors regular

I bought an iPhone in July '07 in Texas, and have been happily using it since. I will be moving to New Zealand in a few months, and would like to keep using my iPhone. Anyone know how?

AT&T does apparently operate in New Zealand, so that may make things easier? I'd like to avoid hacking it, since I like updates, like the 2.0 software update coming out in a few months.

Also, anyone know how much of a hit I'll take for breaking my 2-year contract waay early? Maybe they'll take it easy on me if I set up another AT&T account in New Zealand.

Thanks! :apple:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

at&t is not in New Zealand. at&t has roaming agreements with providers around the world. Your best bet it to tell at&t that you are moving, that will get you out of your contract, then you should just unlock it, then find the best provider for you in NZ and get a card from them.

TEG

3. flat6 thread starter macrumors regular

Oooops, my bad; I had skimmed this webpage but it turns out AT&T just does consulting **** in NZ:
    http://www.corp.att.com/ap/about/where/nz/

A card? Uh oh. Do I have to open up the hardware and swap SIM cards?

Edit: never mind, taking out the card looks simple enough... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf9oHGzLF_M

4. yezza macrumors regular

flat6, I was using my iPhone in NZ for the last few months before recently moving to Australia.

Mine's was (purchased) jailbroken, and everything worked fine, nearly. The only problem I had was that I would never receive a text message stating I had a voice message. So if I ever missed a call I would just have to call voice mail to see if anybody had left a message. I suspect this problem was to do with Vodafone's services/settings and compatibility with the iPhone. Anyway, it was a small price to pay to use such a great device.

Also, data worked fine on it too, though data prices are fairly costly (though not as bad as here in Australia!).. on a contract it costs 10c per 10kb. I don't know the cost for prepay data.

Good luck.