iPhone in Nigeria

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HDJulie, Aug 7, 2016.

1. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

My family has hosted a Nigerian young man for the past two years & he is about to go back home. He's got an AT&T iPhone 5s that we gave him when he first got here but I never had it unlocked & I don't have the original sim. I'm looking at unlock options but wanted to be sure that if I do get it unlocked, that it will work in Nigeria. I believe that current iPhones (6 & 6s) will work anywhere but I don't remember if that was the case for the 5s iPhones. Does anyone know?

2. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Yes, the iPhone 5S should work there, as pretty much every country uses at least GSM. The only thing I'm sure of is that I don't think nanoSIMs or even microSIMs are available, so make sure you have like a tool or something to cut the SIM card if necessary. I don't know though what kind of mobile services are available there so I'd rather not get full-on stereotype about it.

3. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Otherwise trade it in for an Apple "Unlocked" version that has international radios built-in!

4. HDJulie thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

I did the AT&T unlock. It used to be that you had to have the original SIM to complete the process but apparently that's not the case anymore.

If the phone doesn't work in Nigeria, we'll get another iPhone after the 7 comes out. The price on a 6 will have dropped a good bit. He has the android he came over here with so he has a phone that will work but we'd like him to be able to use the iPhone.

5. 617aircav Suspended

The 5s will work in Nigeria once unlocked. Nano sims and micro sims are widely available.