iPhone in Recovery Mode After 7.1.1 Update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by niblet, Apr 23, 2014.

1. niblet macrumors newbie

I just tried updating my iPhone 5 from iOS 7.1 to 7.1.1 The phone just displays an iTunes icon with the dock connector. I tried connecting it to my mac, but it says that a restore is necessary. Do I have to restore my phone, or is there some work-around. I have a large amount of data on my phone, and am not sure how much is backed-up. Also, what could have caused this problem to happen.

Thanks in advance!

2. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I updated this evening, no issue whatsoever. Sounds like restore is only option, you got a backup?

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sometimes things go wrong during an update, that's why most folks will suggest that you backup beforehand. This doesn't just apply to iPhones, but all Mac and PC updates in general.

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

You could try a hard reset (hold the home button and lock button for 10-15 seconds), but most likely you'll have to restore anyway. As T5BRICK pointed out, it's a good habit to backup before an update of any sort.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Backing up makes good sense when updating the OS on any device:apple:

6. Daysight macrumors regular

Happened to me too. I had backed up my iPhone prior to the update and launched the update while plugged into iTunes. My iMac and its iTunes are always up to date. Eventually tried a long home button press to get the iPhone into recovery mode but kept getting bizarre error messages. Finally rebooted the iMac and restarted iTunes and then the iPhone completed recovery and restored from my backup. And it updated to 7.1.1. Took a long time to restore all my apps, but lost nothing. Thanks Google search, and thanks Apple for ensuring recovery options.

Lessons:
    I hope Apple figures how how to ensure updates go smoother than this.
    Always back up before updating.
    Read the manual (Google) if something goes wrong.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's a must, my wife lost some of her stuff because she didm't backup before apply the 7.1 patch. She's not hesitant to put the 7.1.1 patch on, at least until she syncs it with iTunes which doesn't happen often