Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andregus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Hi I have an Iphone 3gs that my mom bought in thailand.
My problem is that it is in restore mode. I don't even know why it happend but it did. The seller told my mom that it was factory unlocked but I don't know if I can trust that. iTunes wants to restore to factory settings and upgrade it to the latest version, it there any way to restore it to 3.1.2 or even erlier versions or is my only option to upgrade it and hope the seller told her the truth?

Edit:
I know that you can't downgrade an iPhone that is upgraded to 3.1.3 but mine haven't been upgraded yet so maybe there's a way to restore to something that's not the latest version?

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
i doubt it was factory unlocked. it was probably done with blacksn0w. restore it in itunes, if itunes doesnt pop up with a message saying congratulations, your phone has been unlocked, or whatever it says, then send it back because he lied to you. since this is a 3gs, the guy didnt know what a tethered jailbreak was, therefore had no idea that when you turn it off, it boots into recovery mode and you need to run blackra1n to turn it back on

andregus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
i doubt it was factory unlocked. it was probably done with blacksn0w. restore it in itunes, if itunes doesnt pop up with a message saying congratulations, your phone has been unlocked, or whatever it says, then send it back because he lied to you. since this is a 3gs, the guy didnt know what a tethered jailbreak was, therefore had no idea that when you turn it off, it boots into recovery mode and you need to run blackra1n to turn it back on

I doubt that aswell. So it went to restore mode because i turned it of? So he haven't done the jailbreak all the way? Couldn't I run blackra1n to turn it back on myself?

I'm not sure sending it back will be a very good idea, it's bought on the other side of the earth or could i go to apple and complain and they take it back?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.