iPhone in South Korea?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lamina, Mar 16, 2008.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I am graduating this spring and planning on being in Seoul, South Korea to teach English in September.

My parents have offered to split the cost of an iPhone with me (I'm Canadian btw). I will obviously be jailbreaking/unlocking it.

Has anyone had experience with an iPhone in South Korea?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sorry, but the closest...

I've seen an iPhone work was Vietnam. My friend was there for three months, and he just purchased phone cards and worked without EDGE, but his WiFi worked just awesome! :p:cool:

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

My only concern would be that the EDGE network is already shut off in S. Korea. They may be on 3G only.

4. candan9019 macrumors regular

I might be wrong but from what I remember there is no GSM in South Korea.

No I'm stupid there is. Sorry

5. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

I actually think you might be right. According to http://www.kropla.com/mobilephones.htm there is no GSM in South Korea. It seems to all be 3G.

But! Look what I found:

http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/i...ill-there-gsm-south-korea-japan.html#post9925

I am going to call my friend in South Korea in a few hours, and see if she knows anything about iPhone in South Korea.

6. phrygiana macrumors newbie

Though feeling it weird to reply to the thread made in distant past...

The thing is there has been on and on some rumor that iPhone contract

talk between Cupertino and Seoul has been underway, with

the recent news that the probability of actual release here

can't be estimated even until now. I get some wind that it could

never be available. But many Apple addicts and younger generations

seem holding on to the hope of getting iPhone more than ever these

days... If Apple releases one, its impact on market will give a big blow

on Sammy or LG's stronghold.

7. jdsolo macrumors newbie

iPhone in Korea

Hi.. I'm wondering if anyone has heard any new updates on whether or not S.Korea will be getting the iPhone. I've researched it online but the articles are all dated 2006-early 2007. I'll be getting stationed in Korea with the Army in November and I'm wondering if I should get the new 3G iPhone when it comes out this summer. I wouldn't want to buy one if I can't even use it for my year long tour. Thanks

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. phrygiana macrumors newbie

I hear it's highly unlikely to see iPhones in South Korea.

10. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Well,

No iPhone for me. That is, no iPhone service for me, since I already have an iPhone 3G.

The South Korean phone system works like this (from what I understand):

The phone companies here control all phones on their network. That is, every phone is registered on the networks here. The only phones they allow to be registered are Korean phones. Therefore, no iPhone service for me.

I could of course somehow change the IMEI on my iPhone to a South Korean IMEI, but that's highly illegal, and due to S. Korea's insistence on being different from the entire developed world, I wouldn't be able to use text messaging here.

I spent $800 just getting the phone. That's $399 for the phone itself, and another $400 (plus taxes) getting out of my contract with Rogers. Yes, that's rape, I know.

So I've got the fanciest iPod touch in all of Seoul. I even bought a SIM unlock chip. I got it today, after waiting 3 weeks for it to be shipped here.

So there you have it folks. They (and Rogers) have no problem charging me $3/minute for roaming, with data, call display, visual voicemail, and SMS all working, but they won't let me 'register' my phone and use it as a local phone here.

I've recruited my Korean friends to help, and they have all found the same information. I couldn't believe it. I can't use my phone here. I've looked into the Samsung, LG, and other high-end phone lines here, and they're nice, but they don't work with iTunes, and they just don't zip the way the iPhone does.

There are rumors of the iPhone coming (and not coming) to South Korea abound, but nothing official from Apple or any of the providers, so I won't hold my breath.

11. phrygiana macrumors newbie

Sorry for this...

Actually, there is no technical issue in South Korea. The problem is

about politics. There is a deep techno-political self-defense mechanism

implemented by both government and companies like LG or Samsung, called

WIPI, by which sheeple in this country are forced to choose within a very limited

range of cell phone products.