iPhone in the cold

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Time-Lord, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Time-Lord macrumors newbie

Time-Lord

Has anyone else experienced this? I have the iPhone 6s Plus and while walking home tonight in the 24 degree weather, it shut off and said the battery was dead, then came back on, then did the same thing again. My 5s never really had issues working in the cold that I can remember. I know the phones have a certain operating temperature that they work well and dont work well at but I figured 24 was pretty good. Does anyone think it's a big issue I should get looked at? Or just general hardware issues because of the cold temps? Thanks!

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Where was your phone? I walk with my phone in my jeans pocket regularly, and don't have a problem in below freezing temps (yet).

C

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Temperature has always been an issue for phones and lithium ion batteries.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

4. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

While true, 24 degrees is hardly considered cold for most of the US in winter time, especially if it was in his pocket or bag. I've used all my phones out when skiing in temps as low as below zero, and the only issues I've seen are reduced battery life and the phone display is slow to update.

5. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Heat is far worse than cold. I made the mistake of leaving my 4s in the truck, all day in Texas 105 Summer heat. When I got back to the truck, my battery had exploded and the phone was about 3/4" wider than it was in the morning. Needless to say, that phone was toast...

6. Time-Lord thread starter macrumors newbie

Time-Lord

Well, for about an hour I was sitting with it out of my pocket using it in the cold air. It was really really cold to the touch. The aluminium was very cold. So that's most likely why. I've just never had an issue that I can remember with my 5s in cold temps like this where it would do that.

7. KiraYamato macrumors regular

KiraYamato

Was on the beach with the dog yesterday, windy conditions and temperatures close to zero degrees celcius. No problems using phone to shoot pictures of my dog and the oncoming evening. Phone rested in the side pocket of my jacket (not exactly a thick jacket) and was very cold to the touch. Total usage of the phone was about half an hour.

8. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I had this happen to me before with my iPhone 5 a few years ago. I was shooting timelapse of the night sky and was using my phone to help pass the the time. I do remember it was pretty cold that night (around 18F). Ironically, later on when I got my 5s, I was once again shooting timelapse and was playing on my phone. I don't remember my 5s turning off on me and it was just as cold (the performance of the phone was slow, but that's about it). I was also having some issues with my 5 at the time as well.

That doesn't mean there is something wrong with your 6s though. I'd keep an eye on it though.

9. Time-Lord thread starter macrumors newbie

Time-Lord

Yea. Long story short, my car ended up not starting for an hour last night after I got done working, so I sat with it out while I was in the car waiting for it to start. Decided I would just leave it and walk home. And I was using my phone as a flashlight and playing music and then I went to text someone and it froze, the screen blackened and then it shut off entirely. Then said the battery was dead at 38%. Came back. Did it again. I left it. Got home and warmed it up near our wood burning stove and it's been fine since. I just wasn't sure if maybe this is a specific model issue considering it's a newer phone, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an issue. Like the charging issue the iPad pro's are having.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

YEp, out in the cold for an hour, it got cold soaked and the battery was no longer warm enough to supply power. You got to keep the phone in a pocket or against your body to keep it warm. The battery chemistry requires it. Taking it out to use is OK as long as you get it back in a warm place before it gets too cold.

It is normal and there is no issue.

11. Time-Lord thread starter macrumors newbie

Time-Lord

Thanks friend!

12. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

From the Apple Support site:

In other words, all is normal.

C

13. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

I'm having the same issue with my iPhone 6. We're getting a bit of snow this winter (finally!) so I'm spending a lot of time sitting on a tractor and the temperature is around 20°F. I keep the phone in my coat pocket, but it's an outer pocket so body heat doesn't reach it. It routinely blacks out and turns off when I try to snap a photo or whatever. Once it warms back up it seems fine.

Yesterday it shut down in the cold with an 85% charge. Usually when it warms up it returns to the charge level prior to the shutdown, but yesterday it completely lost its charge. I had to completely re-charge it from 0.

It's still under Warranty (also AppleCare), so I could probably return it and get a new one but what's the point? Apple says it won't function well (or even at all) under 32°F.

Keeping it in my pants pocket seems to help, as that stays a bit warmer.

14. Laurie65 macrumors member

I had this issue with my 5 after I first got it. Went for a walk when it was quite cold and the battery almost instantly went dead. Came home and charged the phone, it's been fine ever since. Once you charge it the phone will be fine.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

You 5S battery may not be a good as it used to be and cold will decrease the performance even more. Bets when out in the very cold to keep it in a pocket next to your body and use it as little as possible until you get to somewhere warmer. You could have Apple check your battery and see if it is time for replacement.