iPhone in the office

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by recoman3, Jun 4, 2008.

1. recoman3 macrumors member

Hey guys,

I was talking to my boss about getting most/all staff iPhones, once it comes out here in Australia (I guesstimate around the 19th of June), instead of blackberries.

I'm just wondering if the iPhone is a good blackberry/other mobile pda replacement. The IT guy asked me to see if it has native exchange on it etc for emails.

If anyone has experienc with using iPhones in an office environment (full of PCs) primarily for work purposes (email (outlook), contact management etc) I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks =)

2. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

No physical keyboard, it wont fly. No one wants to type an email on an iPhone.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I wanted to. It works.

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

while this statement sounds factual, it represents one persons opinion. The 2nd sentence is simply wrong (i.e. i want to type email on an iPhone, therefore this statement is incorrect)

While enterprise features have been promised for the iPhone 2.0 software, it has not been released, therefore I would suggest that discussion of this will either be speculative, or based on the older iPhone software.

The safest bet would be to wait (if you you can), and find out just how the 2.0 iPhone works

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I'm guessing neither you or your IT guy has read up on the upcoming 2.0 software update or saw the presentation where they announced all the enterprise features it will include: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/iphoneroadmap/

Exchange support is pretty good, but I don't think I can say more than that due to the enterprise beta NDA...

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

While I can't say whether the iPhone would be a suitable large-business phone, I can say that I have typed many full-length emails on my iPhone without a problem.

The absence of a "real" keyboard is not that big of a downfall if you ask me. I still get plenty of emails from Blackberry users which are quick 1-word or otherwise very short and simple emails. They say it is because it's hard typing on the small device. I guess it depends on what works or doesn't for the user.

I don't think that not having a real keyboard is the only thing keeping the iPhone from large business use.

7. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I type email on my iPhone and i actually like it.

As far as exchange goes, with the release of firmware version 2.0 you'll get full exchange support with every iPhone.

8. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

What you on about. I love typing on the iPhone. Wait for 2.0 update, get the specs and then give it to IT. I believe 2.0 will be just the thing you need when it comes out, since it will have exchange and stuff=/

Just my 2c tho.

9. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

^^ I support Luis, after a while you'll learn to use the keyboard (even with big fingers like mine) and you'll type faster. As for exchange wait 'till 2.0 as others have said.

Victor

10. kleo macrumors regular

Apple knows they need to improve in this area. If you watch the presentation on what will be possible with software 2.0 i think all the right steps have been taken to make the iPhone a business class device. Oh and i like typing on my iPhone its fun!

11. recoman3 thread starter macrumors member

Lol, you guys were right, I love v 2.0
    Now all I need to do is wait till the 11th of July >__0