Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Ok, what's the best way to get my iPhone to work in the Philippines? I'm currently in the US (AT&T).

Should I try to unlock my iPhone or ...

Please let me know if anyone has experience with this specifically....

mak10

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
Ok, what's the best way to get my iPhone to work in the Philippines? I'm currently in the US (AT&T).

im guess you will want to unlock it and then buy a prepaid sim over there... not sure that they have AT&T over there and even if they do, you'd probably rake up some ridiculous international roaming charges... best bet is a prepaid sim.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW

My friend has one of those thingies that you put on the sim, and it's working on Smart Telecom. You're going there too huh? ;)

BTW he was only at firmware 2.2

Theaser

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Be sure to block data to avoid high data prepaid fee charges in the Phillipines too.
http://www.unlockit.co.nz/

Access this site with the iPhone and install the APN address, you can still use Wi-Fi and you can remove it anytime.

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
My friend has one of those thingies that you put on the sim, and it's working on Smart Telecom. You're going there too huh? ;)

BTW he was only at firmware 2.2

What is this "thing" you are talking about?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East

Well we may need more information on how long you will be there, do you need voice and data or just voice but here are the basics:

iPhone is sold and supported in the Philippines by Global. They offer both post-paid and pre-paid plans. Their versions are also SIM locked so if you plan to take your's you will need to unlock it. You will also not have any warranty support while there unless you buy one there. :(

Here is an information link:

http://www.iphone3g.globe.com.ph/i/i?id=2256651

Note: 1 Year Apple warranty and all support / warranty service is performed by Globe.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
:)
What does this exactly do?
It just changes the APN to an invalid setting which prevents your iPhone from using data, well except for WiFi. WiFi will still work.

You can read all about APN setting in the link I provided above for Globe. Including step by step instructions and Pictures...

Dave

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Well we may need more information on how long you will be there, do you need voice and data or just voice but here are the basics:

iPhone is sold and supported in the Philippines by Global. They offer both post-paid and pre-paid plans. Their versions are also SIM locked so if you plan to take your's you will need to unlock it. You will also not have any warranty support while there unless you buy one there. :(

Here is an information link:

http://www.iphone3g.globe.com.ph/i/i?id=2256651

Note: 1 Year Apple warranty and all support / warranty service is performed by Globe.

Thanks for the information...here is a bit of how I would like to use my US iPhone (ATT) in Philippines.

Every trip I have take to Philippines, I always either get lent a generic phone and all I have to do is buy a sim to pop into the generic phone and that allows me TXT messaging and voice. More TXT than voice for it's somewhat expensive for voice ability. (at least the last time I was there 2 years ago).

So, primarily, TXT is what I would see myself using it for and of course the voice I have used for emergency purposes or if my sim is about to run out of TXT's, I would then try to finish the voice up or just replenish the sim card in general.

I will only be there for two weeks so it's not like I actually need data a whole lot, however! I would like to have it if possible and if it's inexpensive to have the entire package.

I just don't know what the iPhone's capabilities and plans are in Philippines aside from buying a sim with tons of TXT and some voice and popping the sim in and from there just watch the amount of txt I use.

So...

Does this bit of information help? Obvoiusly, I would have to get my iPhone unlocked...so now I have to figure this out. Has ATT been a bit more lenient on getting it unlocked otherwise, I'll just yellowsnow it. Please advise..

Once unlocked, I guess a bit more information regarding what you have requested from me is my next steps....

Thanks in advance.

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
:)It just changes the APN to an invalid setting which prevents your iPhone from using data, well except for WiFi. WiFi will still work.

You can read all about APN setting in the link I provided above for Globe. Including step by step instructions and Pictures...

Dave

If I understood this correctly, basically, I have to unlock my iPhone so I can use the SIM in Philippines and then use that site to block the APN so that the data doesn't go crazy on me if there is anything I left on...

What's wrong with just shutting off 3g/Edge? I'm presuming the answer here is that I won't be able to send/receive txt/calls once I pop in the Philippine SIM.

The APN blocking is ensuring that specifically data doesn't go out and I'm presuming that I would have to do this before I take off from the US so that I won't get charge just going to that site which will require data?

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
I have successfully unlocked and used my iPhone (1st gen) in the Philippines. Theres three main cellular services in the Philippines, Smart, Globe, or Sun.

Any sort of international service with AT&T will be ridiculously expensive.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
What is this "thing" you are talking about?

It's the one found at eBay, I forgot what it's called, those " ____ sim" which were sold for only $12-$20. I don't know if it will work on the current 2.2.1 firmware.

Besides, having an iPhone 3G on the Philippines will get a lot of attention, and no show offs else you know what might happen over there :rolleyes:

sergiuria

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
Near a bunch of T-Rex
It's the one found at eBay, I forgot what it's called, those " Proxy sim" which were sold for only $12-$20. I don't know if it will work on the current 2.2.1 firmware.

Besides, having an iPhone 3G on the Philippines will get a lot of attention, and no show offs else you know what might happen over there :rolleyes:

;)

By the way, you can only unlock it if you are at 2.2 or lower

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Would it safe to say that I have to Yellowsnow the iPhone to take advantage of using this minus data in the PI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.