iphone in water

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mainyin, Apr 25, 2010.

1. mainyin macrumors newbie

My iphone fell out of my pocket into the toilet.. I retrieve it as quickly as I can and it was soaked! I can the fogginess in the camera lens. Stupidly I trie'rying??s no point td to turn it on and a flash of light came and went. Upon the advice of soem friends I then buried the phone in a pot of rice. A few days later my instincts tell me to take it to a shop to be repaired.He checked a a week alter told me it is beyond repair as the mother board in the phone ruined.. Can anyone tell me if the iphone is irreparable? It

2. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Well there is one very important question that will effect the outcome of your answer for the rest of your life.

Were you drunk?

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

When electronics get wet the worst thing you can do is turn them on. The chances are that you have fried the logic board. You could try and fix it by buying individual parts and following the guides on ifixit. How are you with a screwdriver?

I guess you don't have insurance that covers accidental damage?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes your phone is iraparable. There's a reason apple puts moisture sensors on the phone. They don't want pay/replace phones damaged by water.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

all you can do

is pay $199 USD apple will still replace it with a refurb, most company would just say you are SOL or if your contract is about to renew you can renew get new phone sell yours for parts.

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Just go to apple and tell them what you did. Its 200 as mentioned before for a new one.

I just cracked my screen from a very light fall. No other damage. I was honest with the guy and we talked for a little bit. Ended up replacing it for free. So try the truth, they will be able to see the sensors either way.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, your best bet.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

*shakes head* I never understood why people turn a wet device ON to see if it works.

It usually will if you keep it off, remove the battery (if possible) and let it dry out. 9 times out of 10 it'll power back up once its dried and work like normal.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They wipe it and then give it a kiss hope it will work like before :D

10. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Yeah, my boss dropped his in the toilet, let it dry out for a few days, and it worked no problems. His wife washed her's, not just the washing machine (full cycle) but also the dryer (HOT). After letting it sit for a few days, it worked fine as well. Never, ever, turn a wet device back on until it is totally dry.

11. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I'm not sure if Apple replace water damaged iPhones under the replacement scheme. When I went to apple to get my screen replaced the first thing they did was to see if the water indicators had been tripped inside the iPhone, if they had then no replacement.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't understand the bolded. They replace the phone with a refurb for water damage.

13. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If Apple intend to replace a water damaged iPhone then why do they check for the mositure indicators? By the replacement scheme I mean replacing with a refurbished iPhone when you pay the €199 or whatever the amount is.

Edit* it does turn out Apple updated the water damage policy in May last year. Please disregard my previous posts bout water damage.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/05/apple-changes-water-damaged-iphone-replacement-policy.ars

14. iRance macrumors regular

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They do but you gotta pay $200