Iphone ineligible to restore, Lost password. AGHHH

shittyday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
My iphone 4s it broken, and now I am back to my old iPhone 4. I can't remember the password because it has been almost a year since I used it, and when I try to restore it, Itunes says it cannot. What to do?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If you have the computer with the iTunes library the iPhone 4 synced with, you can reset the passcode by continually entering the incorrect passcode until the iPhone needs to be connected to iTunes. The iTunes that the iPhone once synced with will reset the passcode. Or if you just want to get a usable phone right away and don't mind losing what's currently on the iPhone 4, put it into DFU mode (Google it) and restore it.

shittyday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
The computer

If you have the computer with the iTunes library the iPhone 4 synced with, you can reset the passcode by continually entering the incorrect passcode until the iPhone needs to be connected to iTunes. The iTunes that the iPhone once synced with will reset the passcode. Or if you just want to get a usable phone right away and don't mind losing what's currently on the iPhone 4, put it into DFU mode (Google it) and restore it.
The computer I used was sold, so I don't have it anymore.

shittyday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Confusion

What is the difference between dfu mode and restoration, because i followed the instructions and got the same message.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
A DFU mode restoration will always allow the iPhone to be restored unless it has a hardware problem. A regular restoration won't.

shittyday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
so am i doing it wrong? or do i have a hardware problem? How would i know?

shittyday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Yes. That is the question. The screen is blank like the instructions said, but i still get the ineligible error message.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Check your hosts file for references to apple.com (Google how) and remove them. Then restart your computer and restore your iPhone to iOS 5.1.1.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Yes. That is the question. The screen is blank like the instructions said, but i still get the ineligible error message.
Try this:

On Mac:

Make sure you are logged in as administrator
Open Finder
Hold down COMMAND + SHIFT keys and press ‘G’
Enter “/private/etc/” in the field and press “Go”
Find “hosts” file in the directory
Drag the file to your desktop
Open it in text editor
Remove the line that has gs.apple.com entirely or put a # at the beginning of it to comment it out
Save the file
Drag it back to the /private/etc/ folder
Enter your username and password to authenticate

On Windows:

Locate the hosts file in one of the following directories:
Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows XP, Vista, 7 c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Right click on it and choose “Open With…” then click on “Notepad”
Remove the line that has gs.apple.com completely and save the file
From iDownloadBlog

shittyday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
there are two lines with gs.apple.com although one has a # sign in front of it. Does that mean i just erase the one without the #sign?