iPhone-installed application limit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LeoNobilis, Feb 10, 2009.

?

9-screen application number limit

1. I agree that this restriction must be lifted!

36.4%
  2. I don't care: I prefer to uninstall and reinstall applications daily or thereabouts.

63.6%
  1. LeoNobilis macrumors regular

LeoNobilis

I am quite fed up with the limit of 9 screens Apple makes available for applications to install, and intend to draft a petition requesting Apple to lift this self-imposed insensible restriction!
    For Goodness' sake, Apple, design a proper launcher - and allow the users to have as many applications installed as they will! This is one of a number of reasons jailbreaking persist despite the (apparently, very modest) updates Apple issues once in a (rather long) while...

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Jailbreak and use categories. Then you can have as many apps installed as you want. ;)

3. Onslow macrumors newbie

Maybe if I could find more than 9 pages of worthwhile apps.......

4. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

I don't think Apple needs to change a thing with the screens. Although for better organization, they need to incorporate a "folders" system in which you can place apps into certain folders. (Games folder with all games inside...)

Making more screens is just gonna make things more confusing and cluttered!

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I barely have 3 of what I want. I don't have the capacity to hold all the apps I want and my music too. *sigh* :rolleyes:

6. LeoNobilis thread starter macrumors regular

LeoNobilis

Indeed, however…

Thank you for your reply, Jmann44889.
    I have jailbroken the iPhone a number of times. However, I am somewhat fed up repeating the process every time Apple releases an update (as infrequently as it does, I admit). Besides, my experience is that jailbreaks slow the system somewhat.
    You see, I have a huge Baroque music collection (of which I select a fraction to transfer to the iPhone; to subsequently select it all and maximise the volume - this, too, takes 3 quarters or thereabouts) - and adding podcasts, setting up program preferences, etc. - the whole thing consumes a day or longer… and most importantly, it compromises the stability of the system.
    But, indeed, I am re-considering to jailbreak my iPhone again!..

7. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Your poll options are very biased and leading.

8. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Who really USES nine pages of apps? Thats just crazy and the more junk, the slower your device will run. I have 30 apps exactly and I think that's a lot (which is 4 pages total).

9. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Honestly, how many apps do you use regularly? I find it hard to believe you use every app on all nine pages.

10. LeoNobilis thread starter macrumors regular

LeoNobilis

That is another reason why a number of applications are needed to substitute for functionality of a single one - because they are for the most part of very limited functionality (say, WideEmail - does one need anything like a separate program to flip the portrait orientation - no! But in the view of a limitation after a limitation imposed by Apple, many of us do resort to buying a separate "application" in order to merely type on the keyboard they see fit for use for a given application!)
    Also, some applications have a less limited functionality than others - but instead offer superior interface or greater stability - or simply a function or two omitted from the alternatives.
    It's up to a user to decide on a number of applications to install, as long as they're vindicated by Apple.

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

who's that?! ;) Now a days with aptbackup and other options it is really easy to get your phone reinstalled with all your applications from your previous jailbreak. :D

12. LeoNobilis thread starter macrumors regular

LeoNobilis

It depends - there's no absolute answer to your question. I fancy, that's a rhetorical one. But I do use more or less all of them - and regret having to uninstall a few to reinstall others instead…

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This topic has come up before. For me, I couldn't care less. There are hardly 9 pages of CRapps available. I barely have 3 pages full.

I would like a folder system though.

14. LeoNobilis thread starter macrumors regular

LeoNobilis

Launcher

Screens or not - that won't be an issue as long as an application launcher could trigger any of the installed applications (including those 9 screen can't accommodate)

15. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

This is pretty much my exact sentiments.