iPhone Instant Email????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by indig0blue, Jun 6, 2007.

1. indig0blue macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

I currently use a Blackberry and have grown very accustomed to getting my emails on the fly. I am not sure what all is known about the iPhone email application, but will it be able to retreive emails on the fly ala Blackberry?

This could be a dealbreaker if the email app is not terribly poweful. Any insight or even well thought out speculation would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. Shamingo macrumors member

What you're referring to is called "Push email" or "Push mail". This is confirmed via a yahoo account on the iPhone, however others may be supported...it is not known at this point.

4. neven macrumors 6502a

You can use one of the push email providers Apple has mentioned, or you can wait 60 seconds for an email...

By the way, can we drop the ???? in thread titles? What exactly is this conveying that a single question mark wouldn't? Shock? Panic?

5. Shamingo macrumors member

6. Eric1285 macrumors 6502

I think what you're talking about is push email. I don't know if the iPhone has it or not, but I would be surprised if it didn't. If it doesn't end up supporting some form of push email, there are always workarounds, such as setting up a system where you get a text every time an email hits your inbox, and then setting up a script to tell the iPhone to check and download mail from your inbox.

7. indig0blue thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback. Currently I have a gmail account and a MS Exchange account for my job. I don't mind waiting 60 seconds for an email to come through. I just didn't want to sign up for a Yahoo account and was hoping that there was a push solution for the two accounts I currently have.

Sorry about the "???". I wasn't trying to offend or clutter up the board.

8. neven macrumors 6502a

If I understand IMAP correctly, it supports push email, though it can work without it as well. iPhone supports IMAP and Yahoo's push IMAP, so it's reasonable to expect that it will support push email for all IMAP providers.

9. Eric1285 macrumors 6502

Google does not yet have push email for gmail. You have to find a workaround to get it to work, such as mail2web.

10. KnockAndEnter macrumors newbie

Hello Eric,
    How do you set up a system where you get a text everytime an email hits your inbox. And do you have to have to jailbreak the iphone in order to set up a script to tell the iphone to check and download mail from the inbox?
    Thanks

11. w00master macrumors 65816

This isn't entirely true. Google now offers true Push email through their free MS Exchange service (google using MS Exchange? Weird. yes, but true). I use it right now. The problem? It only shows a small # of emails at a time in your inbox. This isn't a problem for me, but I could easily see this being a problem with a lot of other users.

That being said, emails come IMMEDIATELY as they should like all other Push email services.

w00master

12. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

You do realize that you replied to a 2 and a half year old thread that was written when the iPhone did not support push mail, right?

13. w00master macrumors 65816

LOL. I just realized I did!!! I need to check the dates on these posts sometimes.

I'll just go back to my corner.... :p

w00master

14. lrdiaz macrumors member

If your workplace allows it, you are able to setup your mail account using the Exchange ActiveSync, in addition to Yahoo, Google, POP, IMAP, etc...
    Exchange ActiveSync syncs Mail, Contacts, and Calendars, similar to your BES service.

15. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I wish I got my e-mail instantly. Yahoo says they push my email instantly but why do I keep having to download my e-mail when I go into the mail app?

16. Stiss macrumors 6502a

The settings on your phone may be on fetch. You need to activate push on the phone. It's in Settings > Mail contacts and Calender then under Fetch New Data. Set it to push.