iphone insurance in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johny5, Jul 16, 2008.

1. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I just had a call from a company called "Dataphone Protection" and they was offering full insurance on my phone for the full 18 months contract for £79.99.
    This included Loss + theft and also guaranteed to have the exact same model to me within 48hrs. I asked if they were linked to O2 and they said they wasn't, so much for O2 soliciting my number after 4 days!

Just wondered if anyone else had bought insurance? I realise we have applecare but with these bad boys been out of stock the majority of the time I think thieves will have them high on their "pinching" list!

18 months for £79 is tempting me as I would be gutted if I lost it or had it stolen but asked them to call me back in a week so I could have a think.

2. TINCAN78 macrumors regular

I'm with barclays bank and have a current account with FREE mobile phone cover.... So my insurance/with acciident cover is FREE

3. colcass macrumors member

i bought mine on friday but signed up for the insurance today, as this phone will be high up on the robbing list as the chavs will not be able to get it as its not on PAYG and they cant pass credit checks easily

4. bobbba macrumors regular

Got my insurance from O2, std cover for £6 per month

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I'd insure the phone if it was going to be costly to replace, but with the ridiculous prices O2 and everyone else charges for this service, it just isn't worth it. I could replace a stolen/broken iPhone for £99.

£6 per month is silly if you have the 8GB version. Over your 18 month contract you're going to pay them £108 for insurance.

6. n1ck macrumors member

I took the £79.99 cover as you get £45 back if don't make a claim in the 18 months...

7. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

£6, my 02 iphone one is £7 something. I better check it out

8. badgerman macrumors 6502a

I took out the lost/damage/stolen insurance from CUSC they were recommended on martins money tips.

£49.99 for 1 year, £50 XS on 3G phones.

9. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

You have a very good point actually but I take it the £99 phone cost is for a PAYG 8gb? Theyre obviously not out until later this year but it certainly makes me think to hold back on insurance now :)

10. KMApple macrumors newbie

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DO IT!

Don't get insurance from anyone that calls you up. 99% of the time its a con and you only find out when the worst happens.

I cant stress this enough, if you want insurance do your homework and shop around. You could be very sorry if you have been scammed!

If you have took the insurance out then get back in contact with them before they disappear and get some proof of who they are and make sure they've been a registered company for some time.

Otherwise cancel your order/insurance if you can.

Don't want to sound like a doom merchant but it is much more common than you might know about.

11. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

Dont worry I didnt, how did this company get my phone number though? thats what I want to know. You never know they might be genuine but it was a lady with a strong foreign accent and I couldnt really understand what she was saying whether i DID or DIDNT take out the O2 insurance for £6 or £7 but then proceeded to try and lead me into purchasing this.
    She gave me some info then said "is it ok for me to go through this and get you signed up then?" I said No I dont think so, call me back in a week.

Heh no harm done though as I am porting over my works memorable number from Orange so I wont get these spam calls again!

I doubt I will get insurance and just keep it guarded at all times, the only times it might be vulnerable is in a gym locker.
    I would be interested to know about the iphone for £99 though as I have realised that these prices are for contracts and seem to remember that the iphone PAYG's are a lot more.

12. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

How?

13. EnglishMacGuy macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I would just like to make a few points re insurance. Firstly, the iPhone 8gb DOES NOT cost £99. The reason UK consumers are able to purchase the iPhone for £99 is because 02 have subsidised the handset in exchange for the consumer taking out a new contract / upgrading existing account.

However, if your iPhone is stolen, you WILL NOT be able to purchase a new iPhone for £99 - it will cost the new price of the handset. Although there is no concrete evidence as to how much this will be, it is likely to be in the £300+ region I am guessing - taking in to account unsubsidised pricing in other countries.

Therefore, you may wish to take out the insurance. You may have saved £108 by not taking out the insurance, but if your iPhone is stolen it will potentially cost you £300+ to replace, plus any premium rate / international calls made on your account by the thief.

EnglishMacGuy

14. steveapp macrumors member

This is a con, they phoned me and said there was a problem with my insurance, i said interesting i dont have any, they said there was a mistake and i had been charged 180 and it should only have been 80, i again said it was wrong and they kept asking for my details so they can sort it out. I persisted with the how do they think i have any insurance asking to explain and they hung up on me

I plan to complain to O2 and if no joy im going to make a complaint to the Police as this is a clear attempt to con me - I have their number too, not the usual sort of number you get - began 0179 - odd

Whatever you do dont sign up to insurance that phone you up - it is always dubious - how can you know what they do with your details !

15. majorp macrumors 6502

I'm paying 7 too?

16. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

£6 is the standard insurance, £7.50 is the premier insurance (both provided by O2). With the latter you are guaranteed a new handset the next day and get worldwide cover, as well as having up to £3000 worth of calls covered (if your phone is stolen any calls made up to this amount are covered).

17. nirelandman macrumors newbie

If I were you I'd phone Barclays about your iPhone insurance if you haven't already, to make sure they insure the iPhone - I haven't yet ordered one (contracted with Vodafone (superior network IMHO) until Jan '09) but I am with Ulster Bank (N.Ireland - they're owned by Royal Bank of Scotland) and they do not insure the iPhone as it "counts as a PDA and therefore we do not offer cover for this device" pffff - their loss as I'll be downgrading my account...

Guys for the sake of £7.50 (which ok over the 18 months is quite a lot) - I'd far rather have the peace of mind everyday than risk going to some company which may not cover me properly - plus it keeps it from being another direct debit from my account to another company!

Just my thoughts...

18. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

I think you're right and the £7.50 is worth it going with O2, especially with accidental damage. Imagine you drop your iphone I doubt Apple would replace but with this insurance you would get a new phone.
    I have another 21 days to make my mind up, but I definately wont be getting insurance from any other company apart from O2. Just surprised they threw in an excess figure of £25 the greedy buggers!

Attached Files:

19. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I plan on dealing direct with O2 for insurance. Going to give them a call tomorrow

20. jainaman86 macrumors newbie

just to add to this, the iphone insurance with cpw costs a whopping £35.99 for a quarter i.e. 3 months, which works out to £12/month. So, its much better to go with o2.

or u can choose talkcover, i had them for my earlier iphone, i had lost my phone and they replaced it the next day. they are also recommended by moneysavingexpert.com.

21. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

I'm going with O2 today as well. I emailed them and they responded that I could pay for the insurance for a year, rather than monthly, although there is no saving to be made this way. I prefer paying annually as it keeps my monthly bill down (even though its £52.50 a month already!).

22. Igantius macrumors 65816

One word of warning – with the cheaper insurance deals, you may not get a new iPhone… or even an iPhone at all. In the small print, most of these contracts states that whenever possible, you will receive an identical model of the same age (this could be a second-hand or refurbished model) – but when this isn’t possible you will get an “equivalent” handset… personally, I think they would have a job about this with the iPhone, but that’s what it says.

The major reason money saving sites (and papers like The Daily Telegraph) recommend them is that the premiums are cheaper.

Absolutely – the UK RRP (i.e. the cost if you need to get a lost/stolen one) hasn’t been set yet, but I’ve been given an guesstimate of £350 for the 16GB one.

O2 (this was confirmed not by the people calling, btw!) – similar thing happened when I talk out a simplicity contract… although I received five different calls in three days! I actually found this funny as none realised it was a sim-only contract! When I mentioned the amount of calls I received, the person apologised and removed my number... never heard a peep again.

23. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

I agree - they seem dodgy to me - I've had them call me repeatedly for the last 12 months after an upgrade I did with T-Mo. They typically use weasel words when I challenge them if they are calling from o2 and when they admit they are not they get all defensive.

I have had them call because of a 'problem' with my current insurance - which I did not have - and when I ask what the problem is they get more and more vague and then say that I might want to take their insurance because my current carrier has made some 'error'

I tend to tell them to take my number off their database (and they don't). By the third call I tend to get very abusive and then they hang up.

For my 16gb iPhone I just took the £7.50 per month offer from o2. Might be too much to pay but I would hate to be without my iPhone for more than 24 hrs.

24. SAFC2403 macrumors member

Before anyone pays ANYTHING for their insurance please check with your household insurers beforehand. I did that when i got my iPhone 1st gen and was pleasantly surprised that they would cover my iPhone without any additional charge. If it was lost or stolen i'd pay the excess which is £50.

Comes under the part that covers items away from the home. So rather than pay the money check with your household contents insurance first.

This is in the UK btw as i dont know how insurance works in other parts of the world. Just thought i'd let you guys know cos it may save some money for some.

25. Igantius macrumors 65816

Good advice - under my policy, it was £60 excess but I would have to name it as a specified personal belonging and pay a higher premium (very, very small) but I didn't go for it because of not wanting to blow my no-claims bonus.