iPhone insurance in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbob89, Jun 11, 2010.

1. jimbob89 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of any good and preferably cheap iPhone insurance policys.
    I want Accidental Damage (inc water damage) and Theft cover as bare minimum.
    I know O2 do a £15/month policy but wondering if anyone else is doing it cheaper.

2. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

I get mine with my bank account (Halifax) it costs me £5 a month as I'm staff, or £10 to everyone else. It's pretty good level of cover - loss, damage, theft, water damage

Other banks offer it as well, and if you're looking at £15 you may want to look in to this as an options.

Also get breakdown cover, travel insurance, price promise etc etc not bad for £10 - plus get £5 reward if you pay in over 1000 p/m

sorry i think that turned in to a sales pitch

3. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

yup id go with bank, break down cover and phone insurance for 12.95 a month, plus loads more crap thrown in, can claim twice in a year, first excess is 25, 2nd is £50 natwest.

4. kopite19 macrumors regular

I pay £12.95 a month for Natwest Advantage. It includes the mobile phone insurance which was the deal-breaker. (and travel insurance, breakdown cover etc)

5. ADMProducer macrumors regular

Open an advantage Blue or Gold account with Natwest.

It costs about £5-£10 per month.

It comes with loads of stuff including phone insurance (blue covers upto £300, gold covers full value of the phone), you also get discounted car insurance, free recovery from greenflag and a few other bits.

I have blue, I broke my iPhone last year, was paid out the full £300 within a week of sending off all the documents, proof of purchase etc.

With gold you'll recieve the whole amount.

6. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

gold covers up to 700 for the handset and 1500 for stolen phone calls made on your behalf ;p

7. flipshot macrumors 6502a

I have a Lloyds TSB silver account which costs £7.95 a month but includes phone insurance. Which covers Accidental Damage, Loss, Theft, Water Damage and Manufacturing defects so pretty much anything that would cause the phone to break.

8. spikeyjac macrumors regular

I was thinking of going for orange care if I decide to go with orange, as I'm pretty sure they cover some stuff the banks don't cover?

9. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

like what!? a flying monkey steals it???! jk man, what else could they cover for the same price ? :p

10. spikeyjac macrumors regular

I'm not sure to be honest :p
    Do natwest cover your iPhone abroad?

11. Deano.uk macrumors regular

Deano.uk

orange care is £12 (£6 for non iphones)

covers you for lost/stolen/damaged/warrantee for 3 years (unless you cancel policy early)

Also gives you a replacement next day.

admin charge is £15 for each successful claim, added to your bill.

doesnt cover you for calls made before you report lost/stolen.

With banks insurance do check with them that they have your IMEI number on record of the phone you are insuring, and also keep a proof of purchase from your order/upgrade/contract.

12. spikeyjac macrumors regular

So which would you say is best in terms of phone insurance?
    Jack

13. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Most people's phones are covered in the home contents insurance.

Mine does, covers loss, theft, accidental damage of anything less than £1,000. Standard Halifax home insurance I think. I lost my phone and only had to pay £60 excess, I called 10AM, it was at my home the next morning. O2 also sent a new SIM free of charge, came next day too. The contents insurance for the whole house is £190/year.

14. Deano.uk macrumors regular

Deano.uk

I say the network for convenience (next day replacement)

OR

Home/Bank insurance if your prepared to be without a phone for a while and possibly pay a higher upfront cost (most networks put it on your bill)

EG, i claim on my contents insurnace (gives me £6k cover outside of property)

i need to pay £100 excess, pay the network for a new simcard (orange standard sim is £15) and wait for my claim to go through to purchase a new phone. (im assuming they would refund the cost of the phone to you, not give you an actual handset)

If i claim under network, £15 goes on next bill, get a replacement "referb"* in 24hours.

*Most referb phones are ones that customers have returned under return policys or faulty phones that have been repaired to manufacturers standards.