iPhone insurance options....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gix1k, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

So I went to Statefarm and was told I could open a "Personal article" policy that will cost me about $40 a year. It will cover the cost if lost, stolen, etc. No deductible. They need proof from Apple or AT&T to show the actual cost of the iPhone for replacement. So what would be the actual cost if I lost it. Say I have the 16gb, I paid $299 w/ two year term. If I lost the phone, what would I pay to replace? A form I have from ATT says $599-8gb and $699-16gb...true?

2. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

199 is the price with a new contract. So yes, it would be the 699 that you would have to pay if lost.

3. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

It was $299

4. jason72780 macrumors regular

I have that policy from state farm and actually already used it. I insured for the full unsubsidized price, but the check I got was for the early upgrade. Got my cracked screen replaced on Sunday. And it costs me $30 a year.

5. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I did the same thing through my insurance... I haven't filed any claims yet (haven't needed to), so I don't know the specifics. All I know is that my deductible is $50 -- not bad for a new iPhone.

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Sorry, didn't read the entire post. I think you could claim the cost of a new one - $599. I bet that is what the insurance company will give you.

7. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

What do you mean by that ^^(bold)? You had to pay some cash out of pocket to replace?

8. jason72780 macrumors regular

no. Nothing out of pocket. The check I got was for the $399 plus tax so like $448 or something. That was for the 8GB

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

$199/$299 = subsidized price
    $399/$499 = unsubsidized price

If you lose your iPhone 3G and need it replaced, you'd pay the unsubsidized price (and sign another 2-year contract).

10. Craigriver macrumors newbie

State Farm wants proof of replacement cost from ATT or Apple

State Farm wants something in writing from Apple or ATT for the replacement cost. Where can it be found? I've searched high and low. ATT says Apple has it, but I've yet to secure anything from Apple stating its replacement value. Any ideas?

11. jason72780 macrumors regular

They told me to get something stating actual value and printed a page from the 3g announcement off of AT&Ts website and based it on the no contract price which is yet still not available. Of course they gave me the amount to replace with new contract when I filed a claim, which I am perfectly fine with.

12. TubbyCow macrumors member

I am confused about this, can someone explain.

Wouldn't you just pay the cancellation fee and then 199. Wouldn't that be less money? Is there a drawback to this?

13. Craigriver macrumors newbie

Tubbycow, to get a new iPhone - if you lost it or it was destroyed, you'd need to purchase a new iPhone at the unsubsidized price. So it would cost big bucks up front, they, ATT and Apple, are soaking us, because they have such a great product. E.g., they can. That is why the insurance is such a good idea.

Someone mentioned they secured a replacement cost from ATT. Did ATT give you a printed quote? - the ATT store I was at said they had no such thing.

14. jason72780 macrumors regular

Not a quote. Just went on the AT&T site and printed off the press release from when the 3g was anounced. It stated the 3 different prices on it. The qualified upgrade, early upgrade, and no contract.