iPhone Insurance Question - UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jazzyjeff, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jazzyjeff macrumors newbie

I intend on buying a iphone 3gs on PAYG when they are released and use my current Simplicity card.

If I buy the phone from an Apple Store, can anyone recommend a good insurance company? Also, will there be any problem as I'm not using the sim that was supplied with the phone?

If I bought from Carphone and used their insurance, would I have to insure it with the phone number provided with the PAYG?

Hope I've made myself clear and thanks in advance for your help.

2. wazza12345 macrumors regular

I just spoke with O2 insurance, they will not insure they PAYG iPhone handset if you put in the Simplicity SIM. Only with the PAYG sim.

3. tyranical macrumors regular

Just put the PAYG sim back in it when it breaks? :rolleyes:

4. wazza12345 macrumors regular

They can tell what SIM you are using to access the network, they'll see you've been using it with a different SIM to what the insurance is registered with. Don't think for a second an insurance company is going to pay you money if they can use their terms and conditions to get out of it.

5. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

How ridiculous is that! :rolleyes:

So true!

6. fireplace macrumors member

I have taken out extr.a cover on my home insurance to cover phones, laptops for loss/theft/damage etc whilst i'm out and about - £5 per month:) I'll get applecare for the techy bit

7. LondonDude89 macrumors newbie

If you buy a 3G S on PAYG from CPW, you will only get PAYG insurance.

CPW's PAYG insurance wont cover you for loss or unauthorised calls, both of which are covered on the contract insurance

8. scalf9 macrumors newbie

iphone insurance can cost quite a bit, particularly with Carphone Warehouse which I had for the first iphone. Some bank accounts for which you pay a small fee offer free phone insurance, so it might be worth exploring that. Also, some home insurance offers mobile phone cover - again, worth checking.

9. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

The Halifax Ultimate Rewards Current Account offers several insurances for a monthly charge of £12.50:

I'd call that really good value for money!

10. teeveetee macrumors newbie

02 confirmation that you can insure a PAYG iphone with SIMplicity card

As discussed, I've spoken to our Pay Monthly team for you. You can Insure the Pay & Go iPhone when you're on Simplicity.

When you've ordered and received the Pay & Go iPhone and the Simplicity SIM card, you need to contact our Pay Monthly team over the phone within 14 days of purchase. Let them know that you wish to purchase Insurance for your Simplicity number and that you bought the Pay & Go iPhone. You'll be asked to fax some documents that you received with the iPhone. This is just to prove to the Insurance company that you're the owner of the phone.

Please make sure that you don't use any other SIM in the iPhone or it could invalidate any claims you make.

Kind regards

Pete
    Team EC1
    O2 Customer Service

11. iSimon macrumors regular

I use CUSC for my insurance - coverage for up to £250 of unauthorised calls and worldwide cover for £4.65 / month (or £51 for the year, equivalent to £4.25/month).

12. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Sounds a bit like Barclays Additions (which is £15) RAC cover and iPhone Insurance would probably be a good deal.

13. bonecracker macrumors member

have you seen the terms and conditions of the halifax one, seems a bit too many restrictions on it, etc. Barclays seems better

14. Supersonic macrumors regular

I've got the Halifax insurance deal, and I'm not aware of any restrictions. I lost my Nokia N95 last month, and they sent me a new replacement within a week. Bit of paperwork (10 minutes) and voila!

So what restrictions are you aware of....???

15. bonecracker macrumors member

In the event Your Mobile Phoneis to be replaced, a new
    or refurbished replacement mobile phone will be
    provided by Us. If the same model is not available, the
    replacement will be of a similar specification and quality.
    Wewill contact Youto advise Youwhich replacement
    mobile phones are available. It may not be possible to
    connect Youto the same Mobile Phonenumber.

this is one of the restrictions, ie they may not send you an iphone if yours is not repairable

Could be wrong though....I like the look of barclays, the RAC cover seems better. have you had experience of rac with halifax as they seem to only cover you for ten miles if you break down. of the point of the thread i know.

o2 seems to give you a new one if your is broken but it is £10

16. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Mine's insured on my NatWest Gold account.

A note of caution to others who think their iPhone is covered on their bank's mobile phone or gadget insurance - check your small print. Many bank policies exclude smartphones in general and the iPhone in particular.

17. Supersonic macrumors regular

Yes, but if you lose your phone, you're hardly going to complain for a better phone than you started with!.....

(the kit actually comes from the same place anyhow I think....via St Andrews Insurance who underwrite the processes)

18. Supersonic macrumors regular

Halifax don't.

I explicetly checked this, and they covered my N95. As mentioned above, they sent me a replacement.

Easy answer....just call them and ask! Not difficult....

19. rancidyakbutter macrumors newbie

Halifax

The halifax URCA does cover the iPhone, Though with the iPhone they will reimburse you the cost of buying a new one as O2 seem reluctant to sell them to insurance companies other than their own. Also if you have an iPhone 3GS 32Gb, check and see how much you are covered up to as this phone costs more than the £500 limit on the halifax one and so they will pay you the £500 but you would have to make up the remaining £40 ish yourself, as well as the £30 excess.

20. SAFC2403 macrumors member

I've got mine covered on my house insurance policy at no extra cost. it's covered under the items away from home up to £1k.