iPhone Insurance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by korndawg, Jun 28, 2011.

1. korndawg macrumors regular

Do any of you purchase insurance plans for your iphone? Mainly ones that cover accidental spiils/breakage? If so, who do you use for it? A buddy of mine just purchase and Iphone 4 and he's pretty fricken clumsy and has broken numerous phones and wanting me to do some research for him.

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I don't know about the US, but here it is much cheaper to add things like this to home/contents insurance. Dedicated phone insurance is usually a rip off.

3. libertysat macrumors regular

Two I swear by

1 - real good bumper/case (#1 most important to me)
    2 - SquareTrade warrantee

4. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Yes i believe insurance on an Iphone 4 is a must. You can be as careful as possible and baby your phone but there is no guarantee you will not drop it, lose it, have it stolen or damage it.

If you are tied to a contract and you lose it or damage it you will have to pay out for a new phone and be stuck with a contract. I have never lost a phone but having the insurance is good for peace of mind. £500 is a lot to pay out if you do end up losing or breaking it.

I pay £15 a month for my insurance with Vodafone in the uk and it covers absolutely everything!

5. icewing macrumors 6502

Agree on both.

6. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Many credit cards offer insurance on purchased items.

7. CleverName macrumors newbie

My Otter Box case has kept my phone pretty safe, but it if I were to do it again, I would get a smaller case and go with the SquareTrade warranty. It's $99 with a $50 deductible, and it covers everything but theft/loss.

8. korndawg thread starter macrumors regular

Well, he has VZ, so the soonest he can upgrade is 20 months now. He has a case but he's notorious for breaking screens. He's a mechanic/body worker and he keeps his phone in his pocket. So yes, he needs insurance.

9. vietalogy macrumors 6502

I have state farm policy on my iPhone under personal articles. Which is $40 a year with 0 deductible and covers theft, loss, and damage. It's not available in all states so just call your local state farm agent and ask.

10. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

State Farm doesn't cover phones in Minnesota, so I went with Insureappleiphone.com. They have a facebook page too and it's about 5.99 a month if you don't pay it all upfront. My iphone before this I had gocare for iphones.

11. jutte64 macrumors regular

i have westfield insurance in Ohio, Im not sure how much my fee is it is some where around $20-30 a year, a couple dollars a month. It covers theft and damage, and is covered for $600 no deductable.

12. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

In the States, almost all insurance plans that come through your provider (At&t, Verizon, etc.) are managed by one company named Asurion that is based in Nashville, TN. Depending on the program worked out with the vendor they can cover theft, loss, damage, etc.. It's almost always limited to signing up within 30 days of purchase/upgrade and it's a monthly fee for the lifetime of the contract and a deductible of some sort.

It sounds like the option of checking with your homeowners/renters insurance company could be a more affordable way to go.