iPhone insurance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iHavequestions, Oct 23, 2011.

1. iHavequestions macrumors regular

I hear some insurance companies offer iPhone coverage for cheap. And it covers EVERYTHING. Anyone have this? Which companies are the best/cheapest for this?

2. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I've had insurance on my 3GS previously and now my 4S through my State Farm agent. $42/year for $600 worth of coverage with no deductible, and it covers EVERYTHING. Lose it, if it's stolen, if I drop it and break the screen, water damage, if I sit on it and break it...everything.

But...and I stress this...I was told that State Farm discontinued phone-specific coverage during the summer of 2010, presumably because people were abusing it leading up to the iPhone 4 launch. But, my agent says that as long as I don't let the coverage lapse (it renews every January), I can keep it for as long as I want.

However, you could try giving your insurance company a call and see if they can do anything for you. I know some people have been able to add their iPhone to their home owners insurance plan. The bad part of that is that you usually have a deductible before they'll pay out. With the plan I've got, again, there is no deductible.

3. tman1425 macrumors member

^^^^^^unfortuneately, you're right. State farm no longer insures the iPhone. I just checked with them the other day and I was told they discontinued coverage because they were losing more money than anticipated.

4. iHavequestions thread starter macrumors regular

State Farm is the only insurance company that offers this??

5. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I honestly have no idea. I'm sure they weren't the only one to offer it, but they probably were among the last.

The best thing to do is give your insurance agent a call and see what they say? It's possible that they could figure out a policy that would work and not break the bank at the same time.

6. calvy macrumors 65816

here's a related question for those of you like myself who got the State Farm insurance:

I bought my iPhone 4 at full retail, and State Farm covered me for that. I just got a 64GB iPhone 4S, but at the subsidized price. What should I do to get them to cover me for full retail on the 4S?