iphone insurance..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lindsayanng, May 22, 2008.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

We just got a letter today from Insurion (the ATT phone insurance provider) that the account was dropped because the iphone is not on the list of insurable devises. So HOW do you insure your iphone incase it breaks or you drop it?

I always had insurance on ALL on my phones, and now i have the MOST EXPENSIVE phone i have ever owned and I cant insure it?!

2. ballen420 macrumors 6502

You can't insure it now. Rumor is that AT&T is going to start offering insurance on all their smartphones, including the iphone. Though, I don't believe it's been confirmed.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

4. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

wow, that really blows. I wouldnt want to go throught the hassle of putting it on my homeowners because then if i made a claim against it, a) it would have to have happened in the home and been stolen or damaged due to some home owners policy stipulations b) my monthly fee could go up for making a claim like that on my home owners insurance.

MAN!! that really blows

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

You might want to check with your insurer. Some offer special floaters (separate from your regular policy) for devices like phones and cameras that don't necessarily follow the same policies as regular home owners coverage.

6. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Exactly aristobrat...Mine is insured through State Farm on my renters insurance. I do not have to pay any deductable's and it will not affect my rate if something happens where I have to use it. It runs me $32.00 per year. I am sure there are others out there, but I would check with your insurance company first before any conclusions are made.

Good Luck

7. sfoalex macrumors 6502

I have insurance on my iPhone. You have to be able to produce the phone, even if smashed. You can't say you lost it. Anyway, check them out here:

https://www.squaretrade.com/pages/

Best,

Alex Alexzander

8. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

thanks for that info. I will call my homeowners insurance right now. I have some pretty expensive gadgets in the house, like our macbook pro, our iphones and ipods, and my husbands super fancy pro camera. I wonder if i could put ALL of those on one policy that is separate from the homeowners.

so to clarify, you are saying even if its through homeowners, if you get a separate "floater" policy, it would cover anything that happens, even outside of the home.

9. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

SFC Archer, that seems to be only a warranty for the phone which covers defects and such, but i want accidental coverage. I have only actually broken ONE phone in my life, but i dont want my SECOND phone to break be my iphone

10. Jhill27 macrumors newbie

i work for at&t and we did get a letter the other day that said that all smartphones would be eligible for insurance except the iPhone.... go figure this goes into effect June 1st or 2nd, i cant remember because im at home not work right now.

11. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Sort of answered your own question when you said it's the MOST EXPENSIVE phone you've ever owned - for that reason it makes sense on their side of the argument, but I agree that there should be a way to insure it...

12. sfoalex macrumors 6502

Square Trade covers accidental damage. Why are we still talking about this? Call them and get a policy. I have one myself.

Alex Alexzander

13. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

well thats just plain STUPID. i mean, insurance should cover what you want it to cover, its not like a warranty, you pay into your insurance.. Stupid stupid.

I'm still looking into my homeowners policy to see what my options are as FLOATERS