iPhone Insurance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gooden, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Gooden macrumors member

Hello all,

Basically I'll be getting the iPhone 3G S next month as my iPhone 2G contract runs out. I am stuck on deciding to pay o2 the extra £10 a month for insurance? I have never broke or lost a phone, I did drop my iPhone a few times and it has some marks and also the silent button broke, but none of these bothered me.

Would you suggest getting insurance or not? For some reason I feel its needed with the iPhone 3G S and I didn't give it a second though when buying the first iPhone out!

Cheers

2. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

read the contract see what it covers. $10 a month is pretty expensive for a phone. my car insurance is only $100 a month.

3. Gooden thread starter macrumors member

Indeed it is expensive!
    It covers - Water damage, theft, loss, accessories, worldwide cover and loss abroad. And with a £25 excess fee to be paid!
    It is a hard choice really, I mean MobileMe with find my iPhone is surely good enough if it doesn't get broke :p

4. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

The o2 guy told me it covers all acidental damage and lost, stolen phones including up to 3000 pounds of calls made by the theif.

This is worldwide and they guarentee you a replacement within 24 hours in the uk and 48 hours abroad.

5. Gooden thread starter macrumors member

So what do you think about taking it out?
    Risk it for a biscuit, or play it safe?

6. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Shop around and go for an independent insurer. Everyone in the UK knows that O2 and The Carphone Warehouse insurance is very expensive.

I have my 3GS insured with 'insurance2go', although cant recommend it as I haven't made a claim. I heard good things about them though. About £5.50 a month.

AnDy

7. Gooden thread starter macrumors member

Alright I will take a look!
    But some people say these 3rd party insurers cant supply iPhones? Could this be true? But knowing my luck I would get the new iPhone then It would break or get lost or something along those lines!

8. FuriousD macrumors member

9. GedBlue macrumors member

GedBlue

I worked in mobile phone administration (for Vodafone, and 20:20 Mobile) for a year and if you love your iPhone as much as I do, you wouldn't take the risk of leaving it uninsured.

Most home insurers from experience won't cover the phone like-for-like as such - it's usualy worth contacting them to register it as a separate item. If it's specifically listed, then it's totally worth it and you'll be safe.

If you can afford the monthly premium for insurance, then you'll never be withour your iPhone.

(I am however a hypocrite, I use mine non-stop and have no Insurance! )

10. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Look at State Farm for "Personal Artifact Insurance"

I got this when I bought the original 2g iPhone. $30/year for full coverage including accedential damage.

11. Gooden thread starter macrumors member

Basically I guess its,
    If I want piece of mind I'll get insurance and if not I won't.
    I'll also have a shop around!