iPhone insurance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iadam09, Jun 14, 2010.

1. iadam09 macrumors regular

I plan on getting some sort of insurance for the iPhone 4 when I get it so my question is should I get applecare or should I buy insurance from SquareTrade?

Have any of you guys used squaretrade in the past? If so what is your opinion on them.

Or do you have any other insurance carriers in mind?

2. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

I have both. I know over kill but you never know when you will drop a phone and break it.. Hence square trade.. Now apple is great just bring IT to the store and of there is a problem they change it right there. Square trade will ship you a box. There turn around is one day. Example I shipped out my phone Tuesday once and got it back on Wednesday.. Very fast. There is a 50 dollar damage deductble for accidental care with square trade compared to the high prices from apple that's good. But you can try the square trade one for a year and if ou don't like it well then get apple care before your warranty expires..

3. irish1313 macrumors member

I just spoke to my Farm Bureau agent and I can get $ 1100 in coverage -
    1- 3gs 16 gb, and the new iPhone 4 coverage for $81 a year. This is a rider to my home owners I believe, and carries a $50 deductible per phone. I just need to give my agent the serial # from the new phone on June 24th and set. Much cheaper than all coverage I have seen. Covers theft, breakage, loss and water damage.

I read another post on MR yesterday about State Farm offering it as well, that got me to call my agent.

4. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

From what I hear, the best bet might be going with Home/Renter's insurance. I've never done it for a smartphone...only a laptop.

Edit: as Irish said... :)

5. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

ya I made the post about state farm. they charge $17 per year per iPhone with no deductible! I have customers bringing phones in all the time for me to repair. I give them a receipt and they take it to state farm and they pay it! they cover the phone completely and even if its lost or stolen.

6. dvrmstrng macrumors 6502

How long does apple care last for. I purchased it with my 3GS, August of last year. Will that cover the 4g or do i have to purchase it again.

7. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

apple care is pretty much a waste...it stays on the phone you purchased it for so you wont be able to transfer it. it will extent the original warranty for 1 year so your phone will be in warranty for 2 years from the date you bought it new. apple care does not cover water damage or damage of any kind. only manufacturers failure. just and it is 3 times higher than state farm.

8. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

9. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Even if they don't cover the full cost of the phone? Read the warranty carefully. They only cover you for a portion of the cost for a new phone because they assume people will sign ANOTHER 2 year contract for a slightly subsidized price.

Been telling everyone this... Go with your insurance company. It's the CHEAPEST and the BEST deal for your money.

10. TazExprez macrumors member

If you don't want to go with a 2 year contract extension, could you just pay more than the $50 deductible?

11. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Of course. They write you a check.

But who wants to do that? So much cheaper to go to your insurance company.

12. homerjfry macrumors regular

homerjfry

It's home owner's insurance only? Cause I don't have that. It seems like a waste to get renters insurance or something of that kin simply for an iphone. Is there anything else I can do along these lines? I'm a bit ignorant about this realm of insurance.

13. tesilential macrumors regular

^^^^seconding the other suggestions

I would also like to know if it can be added to car insurance (progressive specifically)!

And if it could be, and I made a claim on the phone, would it raise my auto rate?

14. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

AMICA offers no add-on rider to homeowners insurance..

And there are conflicting reports about Squartrade here it seems like some say they ship you a box in which you place your phone and the next day they ship a repaired phone to your house..others say they send you a check for $199/$299. Anybody?

Also, does AppleCare give you the option to ALWAYS buy a new iphone at a subsidized price without extending your contract? i.e. if you have applecare and your phone breaks but has water damage, or if you dropped it can you bring it to the genius bar and they will offer to sell you a new/refurbished one for $199/$299??? If so then a $35 ebay applecare plan doesn't sound so bad afterall...

15. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

Much needed bump to the top thanks to all the damn topics about problems when preorderimg the iPhone!!! Like really let's write some more :p

16. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I'll grab the Mobileprotect insurance by Assurion from the Apple store. Sure it's $14 a month, but it covers everything and I would rather pay the deductible than to have shell out for a new iPhone.

17. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

That plan costs over $500 in total. You actually end up buying a new phone if you make one claim. It's ridiculous.

18. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Wow you must just have a lot of money to blow. That seems like the least logical plan for insurance. The deductible is crazy

Go for squaretrade or renter/homeowner insurance.

19. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

+1

Go to SquareTrade's site and they will compare the two. For those who don't want to or can't use their inurance company, SquareTrade is the best. I may actually end up getting SquareTrade and my own insurance, which is still twice as cheap as Assurion!

20. burnside macrumors 6502

Can't you use discount codes with SquareTrade for their iphone plan? They have 30% codes every month. I have a 50% code myself.

Also, wouldn't a claim against your home insurance be subject to a raise in your premium?

21. Espo macrumors 6502

What did you guys tell your insurance agent? Im with Travelers Insurance, but my agent really doesn't know anything about it.

22. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

But does squartrade ship u a new phone or a check for 200 dollars like some say

23. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

Just read on squarerrqde website that I'd they can't fix the phone they'll send you a Chek for the cost of getting a new phone with a two year contract...so for a 16gb iPhone 4 you pay $100 for the insurance and if it breaks pay $50 deductible and if unrepairable, they send you a check for $199 which makes $50 in your pockeet towards the unsubsidized cost of a new iPhone at 500-600 dollars...not exactly ideal

24. gabejgrant macrumors newbie

I just called my American Family agent to get a quote. $599.00 in coverage, no deductible, covers against damage, theft, and mysterious disappearance. $9 a year, I think I'll choose this option.

25. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure they cover the cost of the unsubsidized phone...not just the two year contract price. I could be wrong.