iPhone International Model w/ Mobile Hotspot Feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marker227, Nov 14, 2016.

1. marker227, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016

marker227 macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I live in the US and am on the AT&T network. I was wondering if the iPhone international models have a different model number than the US ones? The reason why I ask is that I'm wondering if the Mobile Hotspot feature is unrestricted on the international variant phones. They are unrestricted with Samsung Galaxy phones. I was unsure if iPhone handles their products in a similar way.

(UPDATE) - I believe I found my answer. All the phones are the same and the carriers disable the Mobile Hotspot feature.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly what you said at the end.
    The carrier configuration files are pushed to the device when you put their sim in and connect to their network.
    Then according to the wireless plan you have attached to that sim certain things are enabled or disabled on the phone.

3. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm wondering how this isn't the case with my Samsung Galaxy S5? Maybe it's because it's a different manufacture of a phone?

This is really disappointing. I really wanted to own an iPhone again. Looks like I'll have to stick with my Samsung.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure how other devices work.
    You can bypass restrictions and customize an iPhone only if you jb it.
    Other than that if you're on stock iOS you have to play by Apples rules and the agreements between them and various wireless providers.

5. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the information. I'm not crazy about jailbreaking. I did it many years ago and it was fun for a while. How is it nowadays? Is a person who jailbreaks still unable to update their OS via iTunes? I always disliked not being on the most current OS while waiting for the people who made the JB to create another release for the current releases of OS.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Jb is not for everyone.
    Currently there is no jb available for iOS 10 and if one is not willing to put the time, effort and educate themselves about the process then they should stay away from jailbreaking.

7. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

I figured it was still like that. I'm not able to wait around for a JB to come out. I really only need/want the Mobile Hotspot feature enabled. Such a shame, I love the iPhone and IOS!

Thanks for the info. Cheers!

8. Applejuiced, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sorry about the bad news.
    If you want to tether unofficially see if you can just stick the sim to another device just to tether and then switch it after.
    I know its a pain, or maybe get a wireless plan that includes tethering instead of trying to bypass the carrier restriction.
    I know many carriers will either suspend or change your plan if you're bypassing the terms and conditions of your wireless plan.

9. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think for me, it's too much of a hassle to switch to another device to tether. I tether almost daily. It's a good thought though. Thanks for the info.