iPhone - international traveling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HasanDaddy, Apr 18, 2009.

1. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

hey everyone!

I don't leave the USA that often, but here's my question - lol -

I'm going to be traveling to France, Italy, and Spain in May/June

I have an account, here in the USA, with AT&T

I know the iPhone is a GSM phone, so I was wondering what my international options are, including data?

Am I best off going with the AT&T World Traveler plan, which charges pretty high rates per minute, but its data rates aren't as bad..... or can I switch out the SIM card and go with European companies while I'm there?

overall - what's my best option? I would really like to use my iPhone for both calls and data, while in Europe

thanks so much all!

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

You will only be able to use a foreign SIM if you jailbreak and unlock your phone before leaving the USA.

If you do that, you may save with a local SIM card, it will depend if you will mostly be calling locally (yes, get a local SIM) or calling back home (which is expensive from a mobile, wherever you do it from.)

Data via local wifi spots in hotels, cafes etc will usually be the best option whichever you choose

3. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

I have an officialy carrier unlocked phone.

In Japan 3 weeks ago, I was able to 'activate' the iPhone with a local pre-paid SIM card. Upon return to my own country, I called my carrier to query. They cldnt explain it too, except to say that they have had similiar responses in the past, without quoting a figure.

My iPhone has never been unofficialy unlocked, only jailbroken. At time of occurance, I was running stock 2.2.1. Interesting.

4. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Here in Spain, Vodafone is probably a good option for you as I've been looking at their rates and they have a prepaid option that allows you to pay on a weekly basis for internet. Here's the plan:

---------

TARIFA PLANA SEMANAL LIVE!

Si eres un cliente de Tarjeta, con esta tarifa podrás disfrutar de 35 conexiones de 5 MB cada una.

Tarifa plana semanal Vodafone live!
    1,9 €/semana (2,20 IVA incl.) 0,69 €

Tarifa por Conexión
    conexión de 5MB (0,8€ con IVA).

--------

Basically what that says is that it charges you either 2.20 Euros (with taxes) a week for data or a plan that charges you per connection. That would be 0.8 cents with taxes per 5mb connection.

Anyway, I would rather talk to a person that works at vodafone before actually getting it just to make sure they won't charge you for anything extra. Spain's like that.... lots of hidden charges!

Here's the link:

http://www.vodafone.es/particulares/tarifas/internet-en-movilidad/navega-movil/

5. HasanDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks so much guys!!! this was very helpful!

I really don't wanna jailbreak --- I may just do a rent-a-phone option in most of these places

6. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Goes without saying, but Skype for iPhone for when you're on Wi-Fi and want to call back home.

7. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

I too am going to france spain and italy in may/june and i called att and asked what i could do and they told me that the best thing would do is get a calling card because text range from .25-.50$ a piece data is .01 a kb, and calling is expensive. They have data packages are super expensive. I am just going to put my phone in airplane mode and enjoy the ipod feature, and get a calling card.

8. HasanDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow - really?

good idea

9. HasanDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

another good idea

however, .01 for data per kb isn't that bad?

thank you all for the suggestions!!!

10. sparkyms macrumors 65816

pretty sure that works out at $10.24 p/MB...

11. shoreacres29 macrumors newbie

Italy

So... I TOO am traveling to Italy. I have a friend that can unlock/jailbreak my iPhone. I'm not sure why I wouldn't want this done. My plan was to then simply get a SIM card when I get to Italy and put in my iPhone. Suggestions/advice for or against this?

Thx